New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Muscle car hotrodder owns a civic!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 07:33 PM
HCF Member
Default Muscle car hotrodder owns a civic!

Hey folks, glad to be aboard!

Briefly, I've just bought myself a civic! Had a family member own one once and I've always really respected the design and reliability of these cars. I picked up a 96 for 2900 bucks... not too bad I thought. Similar cars are going for nutty prices on ebay! Figured I'd better pick one up as the gas prices are going up.

One quick question: The car is solid in pretty much every respect other than the fact that I don't know if the timing belt has been done on it or not. THe car has 130k on it, so if it hasn't I realize I'm in for some serious trouble! Is there anyway to check the status of the timing belt other than ripping the whole side of the motor apart? Check window or something?

THanks in advance.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Muscle car hotrodder owns a civic!

when i saw your title i thought this was a hate thred or somthing..anyways, welcome to the forum

Old 02-03-2006, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to HCF.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

just change it. its sometimes hard to tell if its getting old, and if you dont know, just do it. and do the water pump at the same time.

Old 02-03-2006, 09:26 PM

Welcome

Old 02-04-2006, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

lol, nope, no heckle thread here. TO be honest, I probably won't mod the civic. I'm more interested in the 35-40 MPG (as compaired to my cherokee which is getting an abysmal 16 or 17 mostly highway) than anything else. I commute about 30 miles each way every day, so the gas savings alone is worth about 150 dollars a month to me. I'll be using the extra money to cut down some old college debts (in addition to selling my toy, a 77 firebird which has been hotrodded pretty heavily). I figure in about 6 months to a year, when I have my finances in order, I'll sell the civic for about 500 dollars within what I bought it for (since the hold value so well) and use that as a down payment on a WRX (maybe an '03 or '04). I've always liked those cars.

Thanks for the info-

K

Old 02-04-2006, 11:37 PM

You could prey that the belt has been changed....LOL j/k welcome to the forum.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:12 AM
HCF Member

the doods dreaming of a WRX, just like me. lol.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:11 AM

Welcome to the forum...you may change your tune on moding the civic after you tour around this place a while...its cheap...and several of the mods may increase your mpg!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:36 AM

yea, i would rather do a civic, than a WRX, although i really want one,but it is really cheap to mod out a civic, as aposed to your firebird, or a WRX even, alot more parts around for the civic, i think

Quick Reply: Muscle car hotrodder owns a civic!