New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

my first project car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 AM
HCF Member
Default my first project car!!!

Ok if you want to read the full story here it goes. If you want a short story skip this big chunk.
I’ve been looking for a little Honda for a project car. I’m 18 and want to be a mechanic, or better work in the aftermarket installing world, like subwoofers, radios, and lights. So anyway I saw this little red civic hatch on craigslist. It said 1000 O.B.O. so I look at it. Being up in Wisconsin I expected a **** load of rust and stuff, but it was pretty clean. Little spot on roof, it is a car from Texas. So I went and looked at it. Didn’t run, blown head gasket, bad alt, bad battery. And the guy who had the car did not know what was going on. He gave me a free clutch, head gasket, three extra rims with tires, oil and oil filter, coolant, a new alternator. It has an aftermarket radio in it already. And I talked him down to 500 dollars. So I started driving away, I needed to go about six miles. My friend drove behind me, I’ve never driven stick shift before but I understand how to do it. So we jump it and it starts blowing white smoke. We just laugh and I hop in and start going. I was going about 45 down a back road when the check engine light came on. I’m like shiiittt. So I pressed the clutch in, slammed it in second and drop the clutch. The car jerked so hard, but turned over and started again. My friend driving behind almost hit me. White smoke went alllll over. So I get to the second stop sign, without stalling yet. Got it into first but couldn’t get it in second while going like 15, still blowing white smoke. It turned off again... so I slammed it into second again and dropped the clutch. It didn’t work this time and my friend had to jump me again. At this point I’m like 3 blocks from my house. We start driving then it just started back firing. Loud bangs about 5 a second... then the car shut off... again. We couldn’t get it started... so we left it on the side of the road about a quarter of a mile from my house and figured we would get it tomorrow and just push it. The next day when I drove to school, it was not there... called the cops, they towed it... I was sooo pissed. So I ended up spending 220 more to get it out and towed to my house. It now sits in my driveway waiting for a warm day to work on it. I love looking at it. So now I need help fixing it up, which is why I came here.

For short story, read here. I got a 1991 Honda civic hatch, it don’t run no more...

Specs... 1991 Honda civic hatch back, I believe they call it an STD... 4 speed manual trans, HP=70 a.k.a. really f-ing slow

Attached Thumbnails my first project car!!!-robs-car-240.jpg   my first project car!!!-robs-car-213.jpg   my first project car!!!-robs-car-246.jpg  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:31 AM
HCF Member
Default car

Probably would be cheaper and faster to just get another engine and drop in to be honest, after doing that kind of deal and with the problems you listed shifting I would be inclined to get a spare trans while I was at it. On the bright side parts for these cars are easy to find and usually can be had for dirt cheap. A head gasket, timing belt, clutch swap, head machining flywheel machining, will run you close to 12+ hours of labour, engine swap & trans can be out in about 4 and new one in about the same time. Unless of course you just want to take your time and work on it.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:24 AM
July 2010 ROTM

I lul'd at ur story. u prob ruined the engine on the way home, but no worries. get a z6 and an si trans for it. check craigslist often, and the right part for the right price will eventually come up. you wont have to buy mounts if u go with a z6, a jdm d15b, or a dohc zc. personally, i would go with the dohc zc, but to each his own.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

Where in Wisconsin are you? I'm in Milwaukee.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:53 PM
HCF Member

out side madison, cottage grove to be specific. and my friends all want me to get a k20. im like ehhh. i would loooovvvee a b16 or anything with some vtec. i saw some guy who super charged a d16 something, so i figured i might look into that, but all in all i wanna swap the engine. and its a 4 speed manual, i could go up to a 5 speed lol

Old 01-30-2011, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

Nice to see more out of wi lol. Good luck with the car and let me know if you need any parts I have a lot and can get a lot of stuff, I've got the d16y8 out of my car for sale.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

well i gotta make it some what legit to start. im still in high school and still live with my parents. i need to get it running first so they trust me to put parts all over the basement of out house. right now they think im just being stupid. so yea, i gotta start small.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

Ah I work for Acura and go to matc in mequon for Honda.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

k20 is more powerful than a standard b16 look at jdm engine specs and it will give you a breakdown, the k20a2 is 200hp and 160ft.lbs at the flywheel bone stock. The d16 is not really the best choice I have that in my 99 dx and its not really the best honda engine the b series engines are better choices over the d16y8 (the vtec version) there are loads of options for honda swaps and the nice part is the huge aftermarket support. Parts are dirt cheap on the bright side though and anyone who swaps in a better engine into a 6th gen will sell of the old engine for next to nothing. The engine if yours is a glorified lawnmower engine same as the one in my 99 dx lol. So yeah do lots of research and ask lots of questions its the best means to saving cash and making smart choices.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

well i saw a k20 with a 6 speed tranny for 4 grand... im like for 4 grand i can get 8 more cars... not worth it... the one thing i really do want to try is my friend was talking about RWD conversions for civics. i think he was kidding but it would be soooooo much fun to drive that im debating trying it. i would just nig rig everything, they also told me that if i took my reverse out and added a 5th gear i could save money over buying a new tranny

Quick Reply: my first project car!!!