New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Need a good turbo kit for my DD civic

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Default Need a good turbo kit for my DD civic

So i got a 1998 civic EX 4-door sedan, and i want to put a turbo in the thing. Only problem with it is no matter how much i read i cant seem to find a good turbo kit that doesnt end up breaking every coulple thousand miles. I need a good, reliable turbo kit that is not going to blow up after 20,000 miles, is there such a thing? I do expect to have to maintain it, i just dont want it to blow up and cost thousands every other week.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:48 PM

There isn't one company who still makes kits. The kits out there have probably been used and abused. Also, not one company makes everything great. Certain companies for intercoolers will be better than others which offer turbochargers. The easiest kit you may be able to find is greedy kit, but keep in mind the stripped down version of that did not include an intercooler. That was an extra add on. You may be best off piecing a kit together.

We have another guy wanting to possibly turbo his car as well. My first question... is the car auto or manual? Plan for a manual trans swap if you want to add real power to the car.

Provide us with:
-Your budget
-Your realistic power goal
-Do you plan on doing all of the work and installation yourself?

There's a lot that goes into turbocharging a naturally aspirated car reliably.

Fast
Cheap
Reliable

Pick 2

Old 04-28-2016, 04:00 PM

I dont have any specific power goal, around 200hp i guess is where i'd start, its not a drag car its just a road bound car that i want to be able to have some fun in without blowing the thing up too quick. I dont have any budget right now but in the coming months i plan on saving around 2-3 grand for a kit. I plan on installing myself. See i was going to get a greddy kit and i guess i should, but id need to swap the maniflod for steel rather than what they give you(cast iron right?). I dont know if i could just swap the manifold or if i would have to make a custom setup for the piping, i have no idea how id do that. It's a manual btw.