New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Need some Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 05:40 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Need some Advice

I'm fairly new to the site and I'm looking for advice about my 1994 Honda Civic Dx...
I've had the car for about six months and to give a little background here are some specs on the car...

Paint-Red w/black front fenders and hood (Hit and run, fixed myself)
D15b7 motor
Custom Black and Red 14'' Hx wheels with Falken Azenis tires,
Came with aftermarket exhaust, sounds alright but could be garbage for all i know,
Kenwood Deck w/MTX 12'' sub and 800 watt pioneer amp(installed myself),
Everything else is mostly stock.

My very first priority as of now is to get the car painted.
After that I'm looking to upgrade the appearance(interior & exterior), handling/suspension and quality of the car before i think about performance, especially with just a D15 motor.
I know a good deal about civics but i really look for opinions and suggestions before going with my gut feeling.

I'm just looking for some truthful and thoughtful opinions on what to do with the car if someone had the same car I do. Kind of a "What do i do now?" type question is what I'm asking.

I'm pretty young and attend college as well as high school so I haven't started a full time job yet but I save my money when I need to for things that have to do with my car.

I will get more pictures up soon but I am open to all insight and constructive criticism that has to do with proper parts and upgrades. If anyone has any ideas I would gladly accept them with questions and opinions of my own.

Thanks for your time, I hope to make a friend or two in the process.

Attached Thumbnails Need some Advice-picture0237.jpg  
Old 05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
HCF Member

Well get the car painted first. that will make it look alot better. It sounds like you have a good system hooked up so I'd leave that alone. Next, get a front lip for it (they are cheap and add some more style to the car IMO). Then lower it, you can get some Tokico blues w/ springs (1.5 inch drop) on Ebay for about $400. Im gettin a pair this summer for my EK. Then add some tint to it. This is how I'd do it. I personally dont like those HX wheels, they are too small for me. I'd get some 15 Rotas (Slips, Attacks, Circuit 8s). This will definally cost more, but wheels can make the biggest different in a look of a car. If you do all these mods, your car will be looking pretty sick IMO.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:55 PM
HCF Member

After painting it (Black) I planned on lowering it but I wasnt sure the best way to go about doing it. I'm about to graduate high school and some of my friends that have civics just chop their springs lol, which i think is horrible and as ghetto as you can get IMO. I don't plan on spending a ton of money on my car but I plan on buying the brands that get you best quality even if it costs a little extra. The only reason I've kept the Hx rims is because my parents bought me the tires for my birthday only two months ago so i don't want to just waste their money by getting new rims and tires. I want a simple front lip that will make it look nice. After a while I was thinking about getting some fog lights, which I have no idea who makes decent ones... I also was checking out the front and rear strut support bars as well as the ones that run under the front and back of the car.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

Yea definally DONT cut your springs. This will give you a horrible ride. You can buy a set of springs for about $150-175 (Teins, H&Rs, Eibachs to name a few). But I'd just replace the worn out shocks if id lower it. I under stand what you say about money, Im in H.S too and money is tight for me. Go out and get a job to earn money. its also more rewardin that gettin money from your parents. There are some cheap fog kits on Ebay, but I have no idea about their quality. OEM ones can be very expensive, so you better ask someone that has used the cheap ones how they are.

Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM

Friends don't let friends cut springs.

eBay fogs are usually pretty decent.
once you get new rims you can sell the HX rims and if the tires are still good you can get a good amount for the wheels/tires, maybe $200. HX rims are in somewhat high demand as far as OEM Honda wheels go.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 05-18-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

Personally i know for a fact the only reason they cut the springs is because all they want to do is make their ride look good as fast as possible and i mean the idiots and the girls don't notice or realize why they look like they are riding a roller coaster as they drive down the road lol.

I've had a part time job for a while now and i just need to focus on painting the car instead of buying other things for my car that i should wait on. then on to lowering it. the correct way.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:36 PM
HCF Member

Well this is what I would do,

1)Get a lip kit and type r grille
2)Get the ebay fogs, they work fine
3)Get the car painted red. Black will be too hard because you will have to take the engine out to match the engine bay with the rest of the car. Same goes for the door jams. Also the reason why I said get the fogs and lip kit first is so that you can install them a paint them along with the rest of the car.
4)Get coilovers!!! Skunk2 pro-s. They are like $600 on ebay, way better idea than getting spring and struts for $400 and you wont be able to adjust them
5)Keep the hx rims they will look sick on the car once its dropped.
6)turbo....

Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 AM
HCF Member

Well at first I had some considerations towards keeping the car red and I wasn't sure if it costs any amount more to get it a different color because of the jams and engine bay, but i'm still considering keeping it red to make things easier and look better.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

i've seen normal grilles on ebay but do they even make type r grilles for EG's?

Old 05-19-2009, 11:59 AM

nope.
A chicken wire grille won't look good btw.

it will of course cost more to paint the jams, trunk "jam", engine bay, etc. Also to take into consideration is that when you change the color you have to change your registration.

IMO the color you have already is nice. Just needs to be painted again, as you already know.

Quick Reply: Need some Advice