New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Need some help with Speedometer problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 PM
Default Need some help with Speedometer problems...

I'm driving a 92 Civic LX... recently, my speedometer started to have times of not working correctly... if I was going, say, 30, it will bounce around from 25-40 or so. The local mechanic (small town, they don't know much about foreign cars besides how to change the oil and tires) said that it was just a cable that we needed to order. It's been about a month and we have yet to hear any news from them about getting anything, so, is there anywhere online besides eBay that I could find a cable for my speedometer? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:55 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Need some help with Speedometer problems...

Try contacting a dealership, they'll order it in for you. Maybe check out stores that sell parts.

Old 11-27-2006, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

depending on what model and year civic you have. faulty speedometers are a fairly common problem.

my 93 civic had a faulty speedometer as well and would often race around when first starting up. it had to be replaced.

just look for a part out or (gulp) throw down the cash for a whole new one.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:26 AM
Stinky Administrator

welcome to the forum, i have a 92 dx hatch that was doing that i just replaced the speedometer and that solved the problem. oh they don't have cables they have a speed sensor anywho good luck

Old 11-28-2006, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

drbyers, Darryl? did the speedometers only do that when the car was first warming up then after a while it would work? cause that is what mine does.... i am looking for an ex/si cluster is that all that had to be replaced? just the speedometer?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
Stinky Administrator

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

drbyers, Darryl? did the speedometers only do that when the car was first warming up then after a while it would work? cause that is what mine does.... i am looking for an ex/si cluster is that all that had to be replaced? just the speedometer?
tim mine started doing it when the car was cold then it started doing it all the time so first i just replaced the speedo then i went with a lx cluster with tach

Old 11-28-2006, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

^ so it was the speedo? mine does it the most when it is cold, once it warms up it works, it acts up more when it is real cold out or when it is raining. it usually take about an hour or more to work properly

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
Stinky Administrator

yea mine was the speedo not the speed sensor mine in the winter get to where it wouldn't work at all then in the warmer months it would work half the time