New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Civic owner, have some questions....

Old 02-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Default New Civic owner, have some questions....

Hey there, I bought a 1992 civic hatchback CX yesterday. It has 115,xxx on the body and the motor and tranny were replaced at 68k. Its a manual. I think this is the bottom line civic, not sure of the letter designations, but was hoping someone on here could inform me of what i have (motor, things like that) there are two things i know i already want, a tach, and a differant shifter. There is sooooooo much play in the shifter its almost funny, so i would like a tighter shorter throw shifter. any good sugestions? and also a nice tach idea? thanks for all the help that is offered!

Old 02-14-2006, 04:48 PM
Default RE: New Civic owner, have some questions....

how does the current motor run?

please dont get a tach that looks like your mothers clock, and a shift light you can see from space.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:59 PM

the current motor runs great, its a peppy little car. As far as the tach, i have been looking on some differant sites that maybe sell a little gauge pod for a small tach to mount in. i want one on top of the steering colum in front of the gauges, but havnt found one yet. I am also trying to figure out which motor i have

Old 02-14-2006, 05:04 PM

well if it runs strong. i would just turbo that ho. got any pics of your beast?

Old 02-14-2006, 05:47 PM

Welcome to the forum!!!!

Old 02-14-2006, 06:30 PM
HCF Member

Welcome. I wouldn't turbo that motor. A vtec swap or at least a mini-me would be first on my list, even before I/H/E.

Look at getting the Ex gauge cluster, or even better a JDM one. It'll look OEM and trust me, after a while you are not gonna want that monstrous tach.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:50 PM

what year ex gauge cluster should i look for? is there a write up on this swap? could you tell me what motor i have, is it the b16? i definatly dont want a monster tach, just want something... what is the redline on these motors anyways? sorry for all the questions, i just want to learn, thanks, scott

Old 02-15-2006, 09:09 PM

get a cluster for the same year or a 92-95 because they are all pretty much the same. the engine code is on the block to the left of the exhaust manifold about 1/3 of the way down on a 1'x1' square.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:47 PM

I have a 95 cx and my motor when it was stock was a D15A something don't remember though and for your shifter there's a group sale going on for short shifter on this Forum so check it out.
Oh yea welcome to the HCF!!!!

Old 02-21-2006, 01:44 AM

Well about your engine. Im almost positive you dont have a B16. If the car is stock, you have a D-series engine. Since it's not the 92-95 Si/Ex or Ex-S your not running the d16z6. The biggest most noticable difference between the D-series and B-series is the fact that the B-series is what you call a DOHC (dual over head cam) and the D-series is a SOHC (single over head cam). Your valve cover might have the SOHC badge on it, that is if you cant find the marker next to the exhaust manifold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Civic owner, have some questions....