New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Civic owner Here! opinion wanted

Old 05-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Default New Civic owner Here! opinion wanted

Hello everyone, To make a long story short, I've been looking around for a car for my 17 year old son, an older friend at work mentioned that he had a 1995 civic dx 9 wifes car) that he no longer needed, he bought it new in 95 and it was his wife's car until 2 years ago when they bought a new one, the car seems to be in very good condition! its a black 2 door DX with 111k on it , new tires and complete service history through Honda, I agreed to pay 1,300 for it and plan on giving it a thorough tune up before giving it to my son on his b day, does anyone know if there is any issues with this model/year i should be concerned about? I know its kinda old but my wife's 97 accord SE has been a jewel of a car with no give up in site!

Old 05-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

NOPE! Basically any civic is a good buy since theyre motors run forever (with proper maintenance) and the cars themselves holdup very well too plus parts are real cheap and most any autoshop can work on one good find sir and i hope your son will enjoy it as much as we enjoy our civics

Old 05-31-2010, 06:20 AM
HCF Member

DX is pure manual operation so no problems anywhere nice cheap buy.. Car will treat you well.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 AM
HCF Member

thats a good deal for a great car and you have nothing to worry about.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Yup... absolutely great car. The only issue the 5th generation civics (1992-1995) had was rust on the quarter panels, and that really depends on where you live and if the car was driven in the winter.

If it's had all its services done, it's pretty much just being broken in at 111k miles

Old 06-01-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

^ Bingo! Theres a guy on here with a new project thats an older 4 door eg with a **** ton of rust on it...other than that one car, ive never seen any civic having motor issues before 100k miles unless it wasnt being properly maintained

Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM

Great to hear! i got it home today and it seems to run great! everything works, however i did see the beginning of rust on the right 1/4 panel just above the wheel about 1.5" spot, having my dad(retired import car mechanic) go through it, starting with a through tune up and valve adjustment, will check the brakes and flush the radiator,cvd boots etc.. would you guys worry about repairing the rust?? any suggestions?

Old 06-01-2010, 05:39 PM

If it isnt too much of a hassle I would say go ahead and take care of the rust. If it were me it would depend how long you plan on keeping the car? If there is no end in sight then go for it, get that rust out of there before it consume the car!!

Old 06-02-2010, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

fixing the rust is only gunna slow it down it will eventually show back up and be worse so it depends on if you think that slowing it is worth spending the money

Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Whew got it all tuned up today, who was the guy who came up with the idea of routing the ac belt around the engine mount? anway it runs like a top! lots of tree sap so i spent a couple hours with the buffer and clay bar. it has the plain steel wheels and I would like to dress it up with some good looking wheel covers! which ones look right on these? mines a 2door DX in black

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Civic owner Here! opinion wanted