New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to the civic world

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Default New to the civic world

What's going on everyone, I just bought a 97' civic HX and I already absolutely love this vehicle. I'm very interested in minor performance upgrades (intake, exhaust, ect.)
Anyone with any advice on cold air intakes (brands, instillation, custom rigs, your set up) please feel free to share!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

Hey, welcome to the forum Hope you stick around.

the state you're in depends on the legality of the set up. if you're not in California, then you can probably do what a lot of people do. Get a K&N or AEM filter and get ebay tubing for a Cold air intake. but if you live in a wet area of the states I'd just recommend a short ram intake. Check to see whats legal in you're area. However don't expect to see big HP gains though. if you do all of those, Intake Headers, and exhaust you'll see some differences. But, honestly if you're wanting to fix up the thing. I'd start with suspension and brakes. its better to have a slow but great handling car than just a fast one. check the General Automotive section for information. and also the product review section for any questions you may have. if its not there feel free to ask.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 PM

^^ What he said about the intakes. For exhaust stuff, you usually get what you pay for.

The HX was designed for fuel economy.

Is yours AT, or MT? Pics?

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

update: so been offline for a few months but have made several minor mods.
-eyelids
-custom grille
-painted hub caps
-painted trunk emblem
-replaced damaged rear tires (unfortunatley they're not matched to the pirellis)

I also took project91's advice and bought a cheaper cold air intake kit from ebay with 3" tubing. I do live in a moderately dry state(colorado) besides the winters so i opted for an actual cold air instead of a ram air.
I also decided to retro fit my headlights with xenon bulbs that i purchased on ebay as well(anyone have any experience with xenon bulbs?) because I just hate the look of aftermarket headlights.
I should have pics of the intake and bulbs in the coming week, as wells as pics of the new deck amp and sub system being installed on friday.
i'd post a write up but i'm sure there are already hundreds floating around various civic forums!

I'm hoping to have a full header to muffler exhaust set up as soon as I can find a decent welder. And as project91 suggested, I am looking into rear drum to disk break conversion as a project for fall.

thanks for the suggestions, keep posted for updates.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:30 PM

**note all photos of recent mods are in my photo album