New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 PM
Default New to the Forum

Hey everyone,

Just joined the forum and wanted to drop in real quick.

Currently I have an '05 Honda Civic sedan but looking to purchase an EP very soon, hopefully within a week.

I've been into Hondas for the reliability, fuel economy, and price. However, I'm starting to get into the performance aspect as the majority of
My friends have Honda Civics and are working on getting them "tuned up". And in searching the broad spectrum of Civics available I narrowed down to Si's for obvious reasons.

That search led me past the early-mid 90's (I don't want an older car as I have a 2005 now) and left me with the late 90's-early 2000's. I can't afford a newer (2006-present) nor do I really like the look of them.

But for some reason I really like the EPs. From what I can tell they've been bashed pretty bad by the Civic enthusiast for performance as well as looks. I'll agree that they have a "mini van" type look to them, especially the 2002-2003 with the 16 in rims. And the RPMs have dropped to around 6000. But to me they have potential and when done right, they look immaculate.

Just kinda curious what everyone here's opinion is on the EP SI hatchback.

Thanks.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 AM

Welcome!

EP SI's are fine. They are not the greatest, but fine to DD IMO. I wouldn't mess with one though if I had a choice. I like my 96-00 much better.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:12 AM

Can I ask why? Why do people prefer the earlier SIs against the EP

Old 06-03-2012, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

the EP is heavier and the k20 engine it came with used a fuel-friendly vtec, not the performance oriented kind the the RSX type-s (for example) came with. They also came with a Macpherson-type strut suspension that does NOT deal well with aftermarket suspension upgrades. To many honda enthusiasts, the ep si was a slap in the face to the tuning crowd.

I, for one, love them. I think they look good, and the ****ty engine can always be replaced with a better one from an RSX or another Acura. I believe that several companies have also solved the suspension problem as well. I've also read that they feel more "solid".

I'm trying to find out if they are roomier on the inside than my ek... but I can't find any information or first-hand accounts. Might try to test-drive one soon...

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 AM

Cool man. I appreciate the feedback. I actually found a '06 SI coupe I'm supposed to go look at today so if I get that the EP will have to wait.

Good luck testing an EP. Took me a while to find one in Ohio. I've checked out 3 so far. As far as space, I'm 6 foot and it feels comfortable to me so an SI hatch. The back looks a little small but I didn't sit back there.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 AM
HCF Member

my ek is small, but ep3's seem to be a bit bigger. I'm 6'2" and pretty fat. I fit in the ek alright, but I need more room because I have two kids and take plenty of highway drives. I wanna stay in the civic family, but I'm not ready to get a sedan :/

Good luck with your search, I'm sure you'll find something. When you do, keep us posted!

Old 06-06-2012, 07:22 PM

I ended up getting a 2006 SI Couple in Crystal Black. I found a deal I literally couldn't pass up so I pulled the trigger.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think I'll be a lot more happy with the 8th Gen Si.