New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to the forum

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 06:06 AM
Default New to the forum

Hi everyone, I don't own a civic yet, but I am looking at possibly buying a 2000 Honda Civic HX Coupe 5 speed manual with 118,000 miles on it. The only problem with the car is that it has a blown head gasket which is currently getting fixed. The guy selling it is sending in the head today to get checked out and is also replacing the timing belt and water pump. Should I pass on this car because of the previous blown head gasket? Supposedly the paint and interior are in excellent shape. The car is Black. He was going to list it for $3500 is this a fair price? The Kelley Blue Book is between $2500 and $2900. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Default Don't pay asking price

Negotiate - if book is $2,500 - $2,900, start at the low end - do not exceed the top end. $3,500 is a bit much.

Old 02-04-2015, 04:01 AM

I would go low as possible and not caring about how the interior is or the looks of the car ... esp if you have to do a timing ( water pump, belt, and tensioner which equals $$$ in additional cost ) ....

I just picked up an 05 Civic SE and it over heated. I negotiated on the price for 30 mins. and I walked away w/ the car for a fraction of what they were asking. but I ll be doing the same thing except I will be replacing my engine ( I am taking no chances ), and will be enjoying it afterwards till I run across something else ....

and welcome to the site =0)

Old 02-07-2015, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by jfreakofkorn
I would go low as possible and not caring about how the interior is or the looks of the car ... esp if you have to do a timing ( water pump, belt, and tensioner which equals $$$ in additional cost ) ....

I just picked up an 05 Civic SE and it over heated. I negotiated on the price for 30 mins. and I walked away w/ the car for a fraction of what they were asking. but I ll be doing the same thing except I will be replacing my engine ( I am taking no chances ), and will be enjoying it afterwards till I run across something else ....

and welcome to the site =0)
the 01-05 are notorious for blown head gaskits if the head and block aren't warped then replacing the engine would be a waste of money considering the gaskit on the new engine could also give out. there are upgraded after market gaskits that are bullet proof.