New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to forum, new to civics, new to well every thing

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 12:49 AM
Default New to forum, new to civics, new to well every thing

hi, just got me a 1997 Hatchback DX (with only about 61,000 miles on it ) any way I have been looking in to puting in a short ram intake and I have 2 qustions about that.
First is how hard are they to install keep in mind im no mechanic but I do have a friend whos is rebuilding a truck who said he would help me. So is it no big deal or am I getting in over my head?
Second I have been looking around and have found 2 differnt intakes and depnding on the answer to the first qustion I want to know which I sould get.

The first one is a AEM which I hear is a good company

AEM

The second is an Injen which is cheaper and if there is not relly much of a differnce I well most likely go for.

Injen

Any way any advise would be helpful.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13187/EA57A610A10B420B96E1EA284AA2AB21.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-08-2006, 12:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New to forum, new to civics, new to well every thing

Welcome and yeh u should probaly be able to put the ram in yourself....

Old 08-08-2006, 09:41 AM
HCF Member

Installing an intake is probably the most easiest mod you can do. It was my first mod an it was a breeze
...as long as you understand the complexities of a screw driver

As for which to get, both are really good companies, it just boils down to personal preference and how much
$$$ you wanna drop.

Welcome, and Good luck!

Old 08-08-2006, 10:33 AM
HCF Member

Welcome man Yeah like these guys have said, installing a SRI is fairly easy especially if you have a buddy who can guide you through it. Also, when you decide to try and install it, you could always come on here and we can walk you through it. If your willing to spend a little more money I would suggest looking into a Cold air intake which will net you a couple more hp. There is a link on this site where an Injen CAI out performs an AEM CAI so if Injen is cheaper I'd go with that.

TiCkEr

Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum I perfer AEm to injen but its your pick.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:06 PM

Thank for all the replys im starting to lean towerd getting the injen simply becuse its cheaper.

ORIGINAL: TicKeR_96_HaTcH

Welcome man Yeah like these guys have said, installing a SRI is fairly easy especially if you have a buddy who can guide you through it. Also, when you decide to try and install it, you could always come on here and we can walk you through it. If your willing to spend a little more money I would suggest looking into a Cold air intake which will net you a couple more hp. There is a link on this site where an Injen CAI out performs an AEM CAI so if Injen is cheaper I'd go with that.

TiCkEr
Ya a CAI was the first thing i look into but from what i read it sounds like if water gets splashed up into it your engine can be damaged plus it looks like cost about twice as much but I am curious to know what are the differinces between a SRI and a CAI besides colder air?

Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

Welcome! The only bad thing about the CAI is if you live in a town that like to flood over a foot. My town tends to do that once in awhile so i opted for a short ram.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
HCF Member

welcome...if ur pullin a lot of rain- SRI for sure

Old 08-08-2006, 08:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: A Man in a Tux

Ya a CAI was the first thing i look into but from what i read it sounds like if water gets splashed up into it your engine can be damaged plus it looks like cost about twice as much but I am curious to know what are the differinces between a SRI and a CAI besides colder air?
The difference is the colder air, the colder the air the more air you can get into the engine. So if you cram more air in the engine you get more power.

P.S. sri is easier to install because it is all at the top in front of you, but with the cai you might have to remove the front bumper to get it in. It is not too hard though I did mine myself and did not have too much trouble. It is worth a try.