New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

new guy here. need opinions on best system setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Default new guy here. need opinions on best system setup

hi, i want everybodies opinions on what would the best sound system setup would be? from speakers to head unit to subs and amps. i want a loud system but i dont wnat it to lack quality, cause i want to be able to hear it. so all help is appreciated. thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Default RE: new guy here. need opinions on best system setup

WELCOME! sorry i dont know all that much about sound systems but im sure someone can steer u in the right direction

Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 AM

Depends on the money ur willing to spend really, I got a whole kendwood system that hits the thumps and really makes it sound great for about a total of $1100 thats with wires a cap to help the amp with power and stuff like that, now if ur looking for more better quality go with infinity they are really nice or alpine there type S subs are really nice they kick hard. my system is to hear it when im at a stop light and hit those thumps but not to make the person next to me shake there mirror lol. if u have any more questions just ask.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:50 AM
HCF Member

Yes welcome! I do not know much about sound systems either.

Old 07-12-2006, 02:43 PM

alright thanks. i want to get around 800-900 to spend. but thanks for the help and being so patient

Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM

hey, i have two 12 inch rockford power stage 1's in my truck with a 2000 watt amp and they shake my house. i want them in my new car but it would mean taking out the stock head unit which would ruin the look of the car. They are quite expensive though. i was only able to afford those because some a@s hole stole my stuff i had in there to begin with.

Old 07-14-2006, 04:45 AM

Hey bro, I just got my 98 civic and I work at Circuit City in the Roadshop (Car Electronics department). I am getting Polk MOMO component speakers in the front and Coaxial In back. MTX for the subs, the Thunder 5500 Series only. If you go with something lower it sounds sloppy and underpowered and if something more it's just plain excessive. I am going with 3 10" MTX Thunder 5500 Subs. My installers are going to build me a custom fiber glass box to look really clean. The power those subs with a MTX TA7801 Amp pushing about 1000 continuous at the 1.3 some odd Ohm's I’m going to be running. Then a MTX TA7804 amp to power the Polk MOMO speakers in the car. The head unit I’m still looking around, but I have it pretty much narrowed down to Pioneer DEH-P7800MP or the Eclipse CD7000. Either one would rock hardcore.

I think you should go down to a Circuit City if you have one around you and check out the Polk DB 212 Subs. Those are the only subs that I have had someone return them because they said they were too loud. It was awesome I laughed so hard.

It Circuit City you could get a Basic Pioneer or Eclipse Deck for like $250 Installed, Polk Subs for like $380, or 2 MTX Thunder 5500 10” with box for like $300, Polk speakers for like $200, and about 120 for amp cables; a little over budget but worth it. Just let me know if you have any more questions. I would consider myself a car audio expert. I would advise you just to go some place and get a price quote for a system maybe without installation and see what your options are. Oh and also I know with the extended warranties/performance plans at some stores are awesome for the subs and such, I know at Circuit City we swap the speakers, or subs out for as many times as they are blown, something you would suggest highly if you want to drop that kind of money. And remember... have fun with it.

~Chris Ryan~

Old 07-14-2006, 05:25 AM
HCF Member

I would personally never by care audio/video equipment from Best Buy or Circuit City. IF you want to get a good system and have it professionally installed correctly, go to a shop that specializes in audio/video. BB and CC are gonna be cheaper but the guys that work there are pretty much people that are in high school or right out of high school (no offense to the guy that works there. Its the same deal with any other big chain that does stuff with cars). When you goto a small shop that specializes in audio/video you get the knowledge and experiance of professionals that have been doing this for a while. You get what you pay for

Old 07-14-2006, 11:06 AM

yea very true. well i'll stop by bb and cc and ask what they reccommend, and i'll look around for a shop that can install them.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
HCF Member

The stuff i've seen at BB has not really impressed me. They have a pretty good selection of decks but the subs aren't that good. I would shop around on the internet and find the stuff that you want. Then i would goto stores and see what prices they are asking. Then compare to the two. Don't goto BB and buy thier best stuff, find what you want and you can afford and buy that. BB doesn't really stock the shelves with the best car audio stuff. They have a company called Dual, wtf is up with that. You would never see me buying any audio stuff from them unless i was doing it on the uber cheap.

Quick Reply: new guy here. need opinions on best system setup