New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New guy...no civic yet though

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Default New guy...no civic yet though

Hey,

I joined this forum to find the best possible civic for my girlfriend. I know of Honda reliablilty (I have a gen5 accord f22b). And i think a civic would perfect for her first car. As far as maintenance work what has to be? I've done my timing belt, water pump and whatnot so I know I will be a good for 100k. Is this the same story with the civic? I'm looking as a civic with vtec, just b/c I enjoy it in my car . Also, how are the manual trannys in the civics? Looking at the 01 and up body style so 7th gen I think it is.

What kind of thing would a guy look for when buying used? I know the reg. oil, tranny oil, cv boots etc. Anything specific to civics I should look for? Also, what should the compression be at with the vtec civics? (mine was 185 across the board, but its a jdm one with low kms....long story short don't use a metal file to check if youre at tdc)

Thanks!

Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 AM
HCF Member

Accords are fun projects too. H22 swap! It's a direct swap...

The main thing I ever worry about is rust and the dreaded 3rd gear grind... Everything else I look to upgrade.

Make sure that the Check Engine Light comes on when you turn the key to ignition before starting the car. If it doesn't come on, they probably removed the bulb to hide a code of some sort...

Otherwise, just look for the usual things in a good used car. Good brakes, glass is good, tranny shifts smoothly and clutch is working well, no smoke. Make sure to see it on a cold start so you can see all the quirks.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 PM

That would be the syncros in the 3rd gear?

Ya, the swap to the h22 would have been cool but I just use the car as a dd, and im more into my truck.
Hopefully by buying from Vancouver i'll avoid rust all together

But thanks for the info!