New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to HCF...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2005, 09:13 AM
Default New to HCF...

...but not new to car forums...[sm=hia.gif]
I bought a '83 Civic 1500 S hatchback 5speed in '93 for the daily commute to work (40+ miles one way). I have pretty much worn out everything but the engine and trans (it just won't die!). I now live much closer to work and have another car to drive...so...now I'm thinking it's time to upgrade the Civic...The body is in great shape (needs paint, no rust), it's just the drivetrain, suspension and interior that are worn out. I've put 250000 miles (390380 miles total) on this car since I bought it, so now it's like part of my family, I can't bear to get rid of it.
I know there will be a lot of problems switching to a newer engine (carb to FI w/ECU), but I am a heavy equipment mechanic (and licensed aircraft mechanic) so this doesn't put me off.
If anyone knows of a sticky or thread that will help me please post a link!

laters...

Old 07-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Default RE: New to HCF...

Ive seen a b18c5 in one of those before also saw an H22 in one, but the install looked kinda tough and hacked.

Id love to see you throw a sweet motor in that baby. If you are mechanicaly inclined, Id just yank everything out of the bay and buy a COMPLETE swap of the motor you want, Im talking everything including wire harnes that even runs though the fire wall and then start fabing up some mounts and go from there. Id think youll have to get custom axles for it too.

Id also prob switch to Teg suspension (maybe type R 5 lug ), heck you might be better off to pick up a whole front cut and even try to use some of the subframe. Then you would have the wiring and front suspension too.

This is a GSR front clip from a year or so ago

Old 07-04-2005, 10:04 AM

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

Ive seen a b18c5 in one of those before also saw an H22 in one, but the install looked kinda tough and hacked....
If you are mechanicaly inclined, Id just yank everything out of the bay and buy a COMPLETE swap of the motor you want, Im talking everything including wire harnes that even runs though the fire wall and then start fabing up some mounts and go from there. ...
Id also prob switch to Teg suspension (maybe type R 5 lug ), heck you might be better off to pick up a whole front cut and even try to use some of the subframe.
^This is what I'm thinking also...

get the whole front clip w/harness and ecu, and swap out as much as I need to make it work...but...I really don't want to cut up the engine bay to clearance for the new engine, so it would need to be something that would fit with minor mods, minor meaning engine mount, trans mounts, sub frame, suspension...need to upgrade the rear susp. and brakes too.

I def don't want it to look hacked up when you pop the hood....

Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 AM
HCF Member

I've put 250000 miles (390380 miles total) on this car since I bought it
Good God these cars are unreal. Welcome to HCF man.

Old 07-04-2005, 10:51 AM

whats the HP rating on that thing anyway?

Old 07-04-2005, 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: LEVIII

whats the HP rating on that thing anyway?
63hp @ 5000rpm according to my Chilton manual...

ORIGINAL Mad7s

Good God these cars are unreal.
I agree! Just normal maint. items (and replacing worn out stuff) and I did replace the oil seals on the crank and the cam shaft, and I drove the ***t out of it too! I'm suprised the tach isn't worn out since it's been up near the red line so often!

Old 07-04-2005, 12:05 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

sweet ride! Welcome to the forum

Old 07-04-2005, 12:25 PM
HCF Member

i think that a DOHC ZC motor would be a lot easier, since its physically smaller than a b-series. and would still nearly double your HP.