New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New here and have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 AM
Default New here and have a few questions

OK well my mother just leased a 2012 civic 1.8L this last saturday. She is loving her new car (traded in a 01 cavalier) and I am happy she is in something I don't have to worry about braking down again. Just like the last car she is going to have me do all the maintenance, this time around she didn't get used so I'm not just going to be fixing someones neglect. She drove off the lot with 13miles on the OD. Seance the car is leased for 3 years and she can not miss and oil change (like I would let her in a brand new car) It made me wonder what sort of trouble she can get into on the lease.

First thing I am thinking about is a drop in K&N air filter. Not for added HP or anything like that, but because it is washable and reusable. Its something I do in my cars. So other than over oiling the filter has there been problems with the drop ins for this year and model? And would the dealership throw a fit about it because of the lease?

Second I wanted to change to Mobil 1 synthetic on the first oil change I get to do (she has one free change at the dealer) So again is that something that is a no go because of a lease?

Sorry about the rather noob questions but I have never bought new or leased a car so I have no idea. This is also the first Honda in the family so I am prity ignorant with these cars.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:50 AM
HCF Member

I wouldn't bother with the K&N. A new one is what, $35, plus the oil and time to clean and dry it? Over the course of the three years, you'll maybe change the paper filter twice? Seems like you'd be breaking even on price (or losing money with the K&N route).

As for the oil, let the dealer do the first oil change when the current oil is ready to be changed. By the time the dealer's oil (on the 2nd change) is cycled through, the engine will be broken in with several thousand miles, and you can probably use whatever oil you want to (in the manufacturer's specified weight).

But on the flip side, the car's leased, and you'll be returning it in 36k miles, so why do you really care about long-term durability from the extra expense of the synthetic oil? Or are you trying to do it for better gas mileage?

Your mother is basically doing a long-term rental on that car. Take care of it, but in 36 months, it won't be her problem anymore.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:22 AM

Well from the way everything sounded. Its leased for 3 years with the option to buy after the 3 years. Again I know nothing about leases and have no idea why she leased instead of buying. Another thing is she has been talking about getting a civic for the last decade. I just saw her and the car yesterday and she already put 117miles on it. She is in love and she will probably do everything she can to buy it when the time comes. So yes there is the change the car will go back to the dealer, at the same time I'm looking at it as my mothers new baby.