New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New here and new to cars

Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Default New here and new to cars

Hey everyone. I'm driving an 05 civic, ex, sedan, thats a manual. I've never really been a "car guy" or one to mod cars because this is the first car I've had that I really like. The reason for going for a civic is they are very reliable, have good gas mileage, and there is a lot of stuff out there you can do with them (I'll eventually resell it so I don't want to go too crazy).

Just some n00b questions; First, is there an unwritten rule that you should never mod a 4dr car or is that generally acceptable? Also anyone have any good racing strategies or can point me to some? Such as what RPMs to shift at, is there a special way to shift, and off the starting line what is the best way to get speed (ex. rev it up then pop the clutch, ride the clutch, let the clutch out normally then floor it)? Any advice is appreciated. I'd be the type of person who would probably only do the race up to the speed limit sort of thing. Also I'm assuming that poping or riding the clutch will really screw up your car long term.

Thanks all

Old 08-22-2007, 09:13 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New here and new to cars

Welcome.

is there an unwritten rule that you should never mod a 4dr car or is that generally acceptable?

Obviously, it is more :"acceptable" to mod a 2 door. However, I don't think that anyone really gives a damn. I have a 4 door, and I would mod the hell out of it if I could. I am sure most of the people here would do the same if they had a 4 door.

Sorry I can't answer your other question... I haven't got to race yet, and I stink at driving manual transmissions. =S

-kelleykid

Old 08-22-2007, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

welcome to hcf, al i can tell you is "feel the car".... u will pick it up

Old 08-22-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

welcome, i'd say it's ok to mod a 4 door.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7598rxlwpsw
i myself prefer a coupe..but whatever works for you.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:41 AM

whatever you feel is good for you and your car is the way to go. it's a matter of preference whether to take a coupe or sedan, but any mods should be decided on how you want your car to look.
do it, to it

Old 08-25-2007, 06:29 PM

Well today I had my car parked on the side of the road while staying at someone's house. Apparently the neighbor ran into my rear bumper when backing out of their driveway. They were cool about it and left their info, they didn't just drive off. Just sucks that it happened.

lol before going to this forum, had this happened I'd probably have used this as an opportunity to get some new riced out bumper... cuz I'd need a new bumper anyways right? Well, now I've come to my senses and realized that that would make me a major tool, so its stock for me!

Old 08-27-2007, 05:54 AM

good plan. haha

Old 08-29-2007, 08:39 AM

Yes, stick to just a few subtle JDM mods :]

It's what I've been doing with my new Fit; and I love having four doors.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM

Well here is the latest news on my civic... not good news btw. I had a strange sound that my car was making when I put it into reverse and hit the gas. It sounded like there was no muffler at all, then the inside of the car smelled like exhaust. Took it into my local Honda dealer to have them look at it and they gave me about the worst possible news I could get. Said the engine mounting bracket was broken and the engine was just sitting on the frame. They also said the frame is a complete mess, bent out of shape, and all crumpled up in the collision impact absorbing areas. Then they black flagged the vin on the car suggested I visit a body shop to get this taken care of.

Keep in mind I bought the car about 2.5 months ago and put around 7k miles on it is all. Its an 05 w/ 21k miles. Now when I bought it, it was a salvage title, but the salesman didn't mention that until i had already decided to buy the car and was about to write the check (sneaky bastard). The good thing is we did make the guy write in a warrenty on the car if Honda didn't cover it, so we have him there. But at this point I just want to walk away from this car and cut my losses as minimal as possible. It sounds like in order to fix the frame and everything to the point where it is supposed to be, I'll probably (or someone else will) have to pay for the car half over again.

Never buy a salvage title, always carfax it, and always schedule a check up w/ your local Honda auto shop. I didn't do any of these cuz the car salesman was my good friend's dad and I trusted him... yeah that was a mistake lol

Old 08-29-2007, 04:14 PM

Ouch [:@]I'm sorry to hear that man.

Bad salvage stories like that are pretty harsh. Hopefully you can get it taken care of under that secondary warranty.