New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to me.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Default New to me.

Hey how's everyone doing?

I just purchased an 2006 Honda Civic DX. I'm back and forth to school and work and needed something better on gas than my previous 98' lifted Blazer. I'm mechanically inclined and just started going to school for automotive. When I'm not in school I detail cars for a general motors dealership.

I noticed there is a detailing section here as well, so I could definitely help some of you out there.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

welcome and great to have you here. civics are awesome, especially when gas is an issue (at these prices when is it not?).

not to be overwhelming haha, but how could i fix this?

Name:  b9207767.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  109.4 KB

Looks like some asshat got gum on my seat, but it isnt bulged like gum so i thought it was a little burn but it is in a few random places in the car at more soft than hard. If i scrape it with my finger nail it doesnt peel entirely and kind of fringes the top and makes it a greyish color as if it was gum...

also, dog hair >.<

Old 04-23-2012, 01:49 PM

I would try dry brushing it with a hard brush or a steel bristle brush, but be careful not to overdue it and hurt the material. That should get most of it off. Automotive aerosol paint thinner works good for heavy stains and stuff baked on there like gum. You would have to wait for it to dry after though, and if it left a water stain because of using the thinner just shampoo or wet all of the bottom of the seat and set your vents so its directed at the seat and let it run so it dries the seat for you. Also want to vacuum it and go over it with a dry cloth after it's been wet/shampooed.

If it was hard you could try dry brushing it but like you said it's soft so you want to try and almost soak it off. That's what we would do in the shop to get it off.

We've had just about everything on a seat in the way of stains and such and the thinners get's it for the most part.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Flash449
I would try dry brushing it with a hard brush or a steel bristle brush, but be careful not to overdue it and hurt the material. That should get most of it off. Automotive aerosol paint thinner works good for heavy stains and stuff baked on there like gum. You would have to wait for it to dry after though, and if it left a water stain because of using the thinner just shampoo or wet all of the bottom of the seat and set your vents so its directed at the seat and let it run so it dries the seat for you. Also want to vacuum it and go over it with a dry cloth after it's been wet/shampooed.

If it was hard you could try dry brushing it but like you said it's soft so you want to try and almost soak it off. That's what we would do in the shop to get it off.

We've had just about everything on a seat in the way of stains and such and the thinners get's it for the most part.
awesome man, Im saving this and next time im in my back seats ill take the whole seat out and just do it outside. this is very much appreciated.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Turtlegrip
awesome man, Im saving this and next time im in my back seats ill take the whole seat out and just do it outside. this is very much appreciated.
No problem at all, glad I could help you out. That's the thing some material you can spot clean and it will dry fine but others you need to do the whole seat otherwise it will just water stain.