New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New to me 97 Civic owner from TN

Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Default New to me 97 Civic owner from TN

Ok so I just bought my first Honda hoping to have a dependable ride but its not looking that way. The PO said it had no issues and no leaks, they never did anything to it. Its a 97 Civic EX with a auto and 167,000 on the ticker. Thus far I have did plugs, wires, cap and button. I have also flushed the tranny by removing the return hose and letting the pump do its thing. It seems to shift better but to me it shifts funny for an auto is this normal? Also I didnt use the Honda Zf stuff I used Castrol multi vehicle for imports as I read its fine as a substitute. It does leak some oil from either the front of the oil pan or the crankshaft seal. I plan on doing a timing belt change really soon and have came up with a list that I think covers everything if not please add anything I may need.

Timing belt
tensioner
water pump
all 3 drive belts
Oil pan gasket
Valve cover gasket
crankshaft seal
oil
filter
coolant
crankshaft pulley tool

Anything else? Thanks!

Old 06-16-2010, 04:14 PM
HCF Member

First off you should always use Honda tranny fluid. What is it doing when it shifts? I find all older auto civics with a decent amount of miles on it start shifting a little rough with age. Tough so say what you could do since all you said is it shifts funny. I think you should flush the tranny again and use genuine Honda tranny fluid first. Changing the timing belt and water pump would be my next project as they are the most important. Everything looks good, looks like you know what to do with maintenance.

O and welcome to the forum, if you have any questions someone will chime in to help!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:47 PM

Sometimes it seems to shift a little harsh and other times the RPMs will wind up a little more before it actually shifts. Maybe thats just the way these Hondas shift depending on how much you have the gas pedal pressed. Of course when Im running the A/C( hot here lately) it changes all the shift points since the A/C is robbing some ponies from the engine. Keep in mind that this is the first auto Ive had in about 10 years so maybe Im just not used to the way a Honda shifts. Im not so sure about the Honda brand tranny fluid, I know these trannys are kind of picky but I read many posts that the fluid I used is just as good if not a little better(read on bobistheoilguy forums). Of course I have no way of knowing that since I flused the tranny as soon as I got the car. I really need to get a few years out of this car until I can re-buy me another Wrangler, so I may just let it ride and see what happens. Also is it true that the automatics like in my Civic are basically junk regardless of what I do?