New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Old 10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Default New member

Hello all, I just joined in hopes that I can ask you a few questions, learn some things about the civic and have fun in the ownership of a civic. First of all I do not have a civic as of yet. Im a long time car enthusiest being the owner of a 1988 Pontiac Fiero Formula w/3.1L v6, and a 2000 Ford Mustang.

I am currently looking at two different civics partially because I know they are awesome when you start modding and the fact they are very reliable. Both are 4 door (as Im about to have a little one come into the world as of Novemebr hense why Im looking for something with 4 doors). One is an LX and the other I am assuming VP is actually DX? The first choice is a 1997 blue in color has a 5 speed manual trans a small dent above the driverside doors, a very small ding in the front passenger fender. The shifter has alot of slop in it which from what i have heard is easy to fix. The stearing wheel is quite worn and needs to be replaced(foam core is showing) and has 144,000 miles. Here is a link: http://www.goldclassmotors.com/CarDe...ej6571wh606179

The other civic is hunter green in color. Its an automatic, 2000 manual windows not much to be said about it as it seems pretty flawless. but has 145,000 miles. here is the link for that car: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...er_id=55632774

I think what I want to know is what car would you guys suggest to me, second if I want to do more then just drive it (like mod it). And if I went with the auto over the 5 speed can you still mod autos or is that more for the 5 speeds?

I hope I made some sense here. I appologize if i did not. Just looking for info before I buy.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

If you're going to modify it, don't get the automatic, they suck.

I'd pass on both and wait for an EX to roll around. They have a sunroof (although that LX does too), all that good stuff, and also have a VTEC motor (LX doesn't).

Old 10-03-2010, 06:22 PM

there is this car which is auto though and alot more.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...aler_id=554345

Manual 4 door EX's are not very common around here. Maybe i should get a 2 door?

Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM

As an alternative I was also thinking of a 2 door EX manual trans car. How would putting a baby seat in a 2 door be? Seems like they are rather roomy.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

Na if you really want to mod the car and put alot of work, time and effort into don't get an automatic and the LX is good enough, Ive lived with a DX and it has no sunroof, no power locks, or windows, and slow as hell, but you can swap the engine and right away it's 10 times better.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Well I might be going with the auto EX 4 door. Now here is the thing....I have already done 2 auto to manual trans swaps on my cars. Because manual trans EX's are so hard to find around me Im just gonna get the auto and swap it if need be. Shouldnt be too hard.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

^ nah it shouldn't. Lots of people have done it, myself included. There are a few snags, the biggest of which is the rear manual transmission mount doesn't line up with the auto trans mount.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:34 AM

so whats the way around that? Drill new holes?

Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM

Ok well now Ive had a 2003 4 door EX thrown into the mix. Input please? Whats available?

Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM
August 2010 ROTM

Don't get an autotragic if you want to modify it. The Civic automatic transmission can't handle any more power over stock. And that gold 4 door you posted is WAY overpriced, you can get an Si for cheaper than that, and have a B16 (nice motor.) And don't get the 2003 either, the engines that come in them don't respond well to modifications, and they don't have very good aftermarket support either. I have a '99 Si coupe, and there is not much room in the backseat, if you are going to be using a car seat I would definitely get a 4 door. Look around, you can find a 96-00 4 door for between 2-4k that is in decent shape, with a manual transmission. I personally think the 99-00's look much better, but that's just my preference. Whatever you end up getting, post up pics and we can help you with what modifications to do to it! Good luck, and welcome to the site man! Congrats on the little one coming!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member