New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New member from Mississippi

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 05:09 AM
Default New member from Mississippi

AHHH I can post now!

Own a 98 Civic DX, bought it last month in Louisiana, drove it 60 miles and and the whole way was smelling rotten eggs, not being familiar with Baton Rouge, thought it was the air. Turns out, it was my alternator overcharging and cooking the hell out of my battery.

Long story short, I broke down, had to rent a tow dolly to get the car home, replaced the alternator and it was then drivable.

So far I've replaced the following on the car to try and make it last:

Battery
Alternator
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil and filter
Timing belt
Drive belts
Water pump
Tires
Plugs and wires
Distributor cap and rotor
PCV valve
Wiper blades
Brake shoes and rotors

Can you tell she was neglected by the last owner? Paid $2500. She has 138,XXX miles on her so I'll soon service the tranny, flush the radiator, clean the IACV, clean the TB, and rebuild the clutch (never tried this so it should be fun). The right front axle needs to be replaced OR the bushing closest to the tranny replaced, I figure, for ~$80 I can have a whole new axle delivered to install.

Last edited by frankc420; 09-18-2009 at 05:11 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:54 AM
HCF Member

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a job ahead of you. Are you planning on doing any mods? Post some pictures, people here love to see pictures. In case you don't have it here is the link to your maintenance manual. http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by roadliner
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a job ahead of you. Are you planning on doing any mods? Post some pictures, people here love to see pictures. In case you don't have it here is the link to your maintenance manual. http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/
SRI and catback are most likely the only things I will do to it. I want high MPG and low noise, so far I'm looking at Magnaflow because I can get it at shop price, I just don't want the car to be any louder than stock exhaust. Decisions decisions!

I ended up buying the maintenance book from Autozone, can't remember the name of it.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

Keep the link for the tech manuals in case you run into something that is not covered by the Autozone book. Check the exhaust section there are some ideas for you as well as some of the posts have sounds clips of the different exhaust systems.