New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New member, new owner, hypermiling questions

Old 06-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Default New member, new owner, hypermiling questions

Aloha from Maui,

I'm a new member and a new proud owner of an older 1991 Honda Civic LX with a little over 100k on it. The air conditioning system is shot, but since I live and hang out mostly "upcountry" on Maui, it's unnecessary.

From a hypermiling standpoint, I'm looking to ditch unnecessary weight, so I'm wondering if I can just rip out the condenser and all the air conditioning jazz without affecting other systems? Just disconnect the neg terminal on the battery before I start removal?

Regards-

Aaron

Old 06-24-2008, 07:48 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: New member, new owner, hypermiling questions

well you are supposed to have the freon removed by a professional, since its not exactly good for the environment, though the way i see it... it cant be that bad as if you get into an accident and you bust up the front... the freon is going to leak anyway. you just want to be careful when you let that out as it is under a lot of pressure

Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New member, new owner, hypermiling questions

Push the pin in the schrader valve and see if any freon comes out, for all u know u could have had a leak and theres no freon remaining. If there is freon in your system, legally you are supposed to have it recovered by someone with an epa license and the equipment required. Illegaly you could just cut the lines and it would **** allover the place, regardless of what you do be careful and keep your face away, refrigerant can give you bad frostbites if its coming out in liquid form (high side of the system).