New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

NEW and READY TO MOD!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 12:42 PM
Default NEW and READY TO MOD!!

Hello all, I just bought a 2000 civic ex coupe, black. I see alot of helpful posts on here so I'm glad I found this board. BTW, I also have carfax for a while, I think another month or more if you want me to check something out for you.
I want to fix up this civic , its beautiful and completely stock but I really wanted to put some wheels on. Problem is, I dont know how to go about it. I dont know what the stock size wheels are and what size wheels I should get that won't make it look bad. I also have to pick the correct tires because i dont want them to blow out b/c of a wheel/tire size problem.
I've heard that the stock might be 14" so I figured 16" would be good. However, then theres the issue of what tire size to get. Anyone that can help me out (especially trying to figure out what those 3 numbers mean on every tire) I would really appreciate your help. I don't plan on lowering the car so I think that makes it a little easier.
I hope to make it really clean, no major changes, just lips, spoiler, and wheels (i coudlnt afford any more anyhow) so if you can help me out with any of the questions i woudl really appreciate it. And if you need a carfax report , just email me! thanks!

Old 06-11-2005, 06:57 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: NEW and READY TO MOD!!

welcome to the forum! sounds like a pretty nice car to do what YOU want to. i really dont know about the sizes either so im no help.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:09 PM

Welcome to the site. In all honesty (just my opinion) 17s will look much better than 16s. But it's all up to you. A good site to check out is www.tirerack.com. They will help you pick out the right size wheels and tires. It's very helpful. And just so you know a little more before you start looking, heres a little tire sizing 101.

This is what you commonly find on a tire- 205/40/ZR17

205 is the width of the tire in millimeters.
40 is the percentage of the width that makes up the sidewall (205/100= 2.05*40=82 millimeter sidewall).
Z is the speed rating. Z speed rated tires are good up to 149 mph, I believe.
R means that the tire is a radial.
17 is the diameter of the wheel, so 17'.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the site.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

If you dont plan on dropping it, then blow them out. Get somethin big with lo pro tires, fill up the wheel well.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:03 PM

that site is awesome! Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand it now. And yeah, now that I think about it, 17s will look alot better in filling up the well, especially since im not dropping. Ill get 17s. NOw i cant decide whether to go chrome or black/gunmetal...but thanks for the info! possibly saved me from ricing out from the beginning!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:35 PM

ORIGINAL: se7ensectoolate
40 is the percentage of the width that makes up the sidewall (205/100= 2.05*40=82 millimeter sidewall).
I believe the actual answer for the middle number is: Aspect Ratio (the ratio of height to width). The lower this number, the lower the tire profile.