New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New recruit

Old 02-24-2007, 07:37 PM
Default New recruit

Hi, my name is kyle. Next week im purchasing a 94 civic with 140k miles on it for 1400. it needs a clutch and a valve cover gasket. i currently work at express oil change and my friend mechanics said for $150 parts and labor they can fix the clutch.... which seems great. the civic is a dx 5 spd, i believe that means i have a d15y7? I see lots of stuff made for the d16, can anyone clarify fitment or lack there of between to two engines?
As for my plans...... at this point im uncertain, turboing obviously seems nice but i have that bad habit of doing things the harder way just to be 'different'. I'm currently reading Honda/acura performance by mike kojima.... which is very informative and obviously accurate. The car is my only ride so im thinking get all the usual bolt ons, eventually make a choice between spraying 50 shot of nitrous on occassion, going all motor, or supercharging.As far a mechanical backgroung goes, im not very good at turning wrenches but i know a good bit of theory. Other than that im always up for ideas for better or for worse.

ps. there is a small crinkle in the hood and the car is black.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New recruit

Welcome to the forum the d16z6 and the d16y8 are the d16 vtec the d15y7 which I think you have is non vtec.you can mini-me your engine by putting a z6 or y8 head on your y7 block making your engine vtec.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

Most d15-d16 parts are interchangable. The thing that you want to do is a "mini-me". This consists of a non-vtec block, like yours, mated to a vtec head. One of the most common heads is the d16z6 head. This will give you a big noticable gain or little money. Then you can add your bolt ons and stuff. Good luck.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:37 PM

i was just reading up on the mini me swap, my biggest fear with that is the fact that i will be wiring in the vtec solenoid, i was always the kid that tried to install speakers and then didnt wind them tight enough so they always popped like a ****. Anyways, this will most likely be one of my first mods...... this whole putting together your own turbo kit idea looks fun....

I understand that theres alot of here and there parts that may be a pain to find/fabricate, especially since i have no experience with welding. Also think i could manage to screw up drilling the hole in the oil pan for the feed line...... Score one for self confidence.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Hey Kyle,

Welcome Aboard!!![sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 02-24-2007, 08:49 PM
HCF Member

you could just I.H.E. and spray with no2.What is your goal whp?

Old 02-24-2007, 09:03 PM

Good point, i guess ill need to start deciding what i want to do. I'm honestly much more of a German engineering fan, i love porsche's. One side of me says to make a daily driver that performs above stock without being an annoying ricer (being a not annoying ricer might be acceptable?). The other side thinks about those rediculous porshe's with 600+ whp and says 'kyle, you're a working class guy, take the civic and make it the fastest damn thing you can.

So perhaps the head swap (which im pricing through pull-a-part atm) and then saving for a small turbo kit to get my feet wet. I've also always thought it would be very cool to using some of the lines and styling cues from a high end european car and try to incorporate that into modifying my little civic. How thats obtainable, im not sure, but food for thought. But hey, if a pontiac fiero can have a lambo body kit, why cant a civic hint at porsche?

I've seen greddy has a turbo kit with no intercooler for 1500 bucks. seems solid. But lets not start counting our chickens.....