New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New user and new owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Default New user and new owner

Hey everyone! I have a 2000 honda civic lx and have sooooo many questions.
A little bit about the car... It has 232500 miles and purrs like a kitten, it has some body damage but not too bad, it's a 4 door (I don't think lx comes in 2 door). And there's a couple things wrong with it. The rack and pinion is spitting out power steering fluid so it needs to be replaced, and my shocks and struts are going bad.

To start, Honda civic shocks and struts aren't expensive right? I looked into that already. But the rack and pinion, I've heard can cost 500-1000 bucks if you don't do it yourself. Anybody know about that?
What should I do about the body damage? It's not too bad just some small dents and some pretty big scratches that have started to rust. And the trunk lid has paint peeled off where the previous owner took off the civic and the lx signs.

Now after all that, I know civics can be crazy modded. I don't want to go to far, I'm mostly in it for performance, not style. I was wondering, after fixing all that I've mentioned of course, where to start with the under the hood modding.

I'm grateful to any and all help!! Thanks!!

Old 07-24-2012, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

Hey Man!

Welcome to the forums.

When I got my Ex coupe my R&P was bad as well. I took it to the shop I know and it cost me 300 R&P + Labor. The R&P was re-manufactured but it did the job. I started just as you did. The next mod I did was a short ram air intake. I have read the Cold Air intake is much better but I didnt have the money at the time. The other next one I did was MEgan exhaust headers ( my stock exahust was cracked) you could feel the improvement.

IS your car auto or stick?

I did a conversion from auto to stick too, and slapped a skunk2 pro intake, put avid mounts.. Sigh..

The most important thing, is to read, read read read. That would be the only way you will gain good knowledge about modding.

Good Luck!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:27 PM

Thanks for some tips!

It's an auto, I never had anyone to teach me how to drive a stick but it doesn't seem too hard.

What do the headers improve in your cars performance?

Also, I deliver pizzas for money, it's good money but rough on the car. What should I do to keep it from cutting out on me. Besides oil changes and tire rotations.