New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 10:43 PM
HCF Member
Default Newbie

Hey everyone. I'm new to the Honda life, modding, and so forth. Right now I got a 97 Sedan EX. (Canadian EX though, to you Americans I believe it would be a DX). Stock except for a Ebay cheapie SRI. Looking to eventually lower slightly, upgrade wheels, just minor stuff to inprove handling, performance and appearance. Its a daily driver summer and winter so I won't be goin all out. Hit me up with greetings info or whatever. Engine is a D16y7.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Newbie

The ebay sri is actually fine. leave it alone. Spending another $70+ will land you 1hp more just about on a name brand, no reeason to do so. I would look into a header and an exhaust. An eibach pro street kit would take care of your lowering.

Also, look into front and a rear lip kit. Your sedan will look sweet after that.

Welcome!

Old 12-05-2006, 04:35 AM
Kei

I'm from Cali, so I don't really worry about "Winter". San Diego doesn't have one. It's just sorta rains from time to time. However, I can't imagine slamming the car to the floor is going to be something you want for winter. I can only assume that will get your stuck quicker in the snow. The Current setup I am running is Tein s-tech springs which lower the car 1.2" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. They are wrapped around AGX adjustable gas shocks. Now this allows for the basics of 1-4 setting of stiffness or play. and 1 is "loose" but still quite a bit tighter than stock. it's what I run with passangers. Without passangers, I set the to 2 in the front and 4 in the rear. I also don't have a front sway, just a rear. Seems weird, but I found better track times while auto-crossing. The reason... Civics being FWD, they recieve power AND handling from the same drive plant. Thus, leaving my front end looser allows the nose of the car to lean to the outside tire in a turn applying more tracting to the tires. I'm lower than I'd like to be, but tires are still outta the wheel wells. For Tires, I am running Generic 14" rims that are aluminum alloy wrapped in a Potenza g009 all season tire. Ranked 2nd overall for snow AND dry / wet. they were about $70/ea. tire. Not too shabby for a great tire. Like was stated, your SRI is more than ample. I build on myself out of mandrel bent tubing. (And posted a DIY in for it someone else's post)

personally, I think I'd be too low for snow. I've bottomed out pretty hard already. and if I could go back, I think I'd drop 3/4" instead of 1.2". But I LOVE my setup. it handles exactly how I want it to.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for the info, I am actually contemplating some autoX this summer, just to try it out. Are the strut braces from Ebay worth it? Would I be better off going with strut braces first or anti-roll bars first? or should I upgrade the struts then get lowering springs? Again, any info (with the reasoning behind it please!) would be appreciated!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

i have heard that the ebay knock off strut bars suck but im not sure because i havent used them, get anti-roll bars first, and get a good set of springs and adjustable struts, and install them at the same time, most lowering springs wont allow you to use a spring comperssor, so im not sure how you would get them back off, plus, your car will handle better with both on at the same time.
hopefully i helped you out.