New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Newbie is a degrading term... but necessary nonetheless.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Default Newbie is a degrading term... but necessary nonetheless.

So I'm getting into my second civic now, it's a '97 4DR LX. I had and identical one before it (a '98 with a third of the miles) but it got totaled in an accident in which a guy ran a red light, creamed my car, the officer gave me a ticket, I took it to court and was dubbed "Guilty Until Proven Innocent," and then was sued by the other driver's passenger. That was in January 07, and it was finally resolved 2 weeks ago. Funny thing is, my insurance didn't go up... WTF?

So I got my second Civic, blew the transmission, and then dropped in my old D16y7 and transmission that I kept from the first LX. So now I'm finally back on the road again and recently felt I need an upgrade in my life. I thought about a newer Civic or a 96-2000 EX, but decided I might as well keep what I have b/c it's reliable, I have no payments, and a clean 4DR would be harder to make. Better start modding right?

I bought some silver Motegi RT5s, but didn't like how they looked while on the Civic so I'm selling those and looking into 99-2000 Si wheels or those 20 point rims Honda put on the 03-05? Special Edition Civics. I don't want rims larger than 16" b/c I'm going to school in Lubbock, TX and the roads are the worst I've seen (par with Oklahoma). After that I'll be looking for a drop kit, but I don't really know what to look for Skunk2? Tein? Any suggestions? Then I think it'll be time for a new paint job, and I'm really liking the Si blue.

That's enough of my life story... just glad to be able to get more advice.

Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 PM
Default RE: Newbie is a degrading term... but necessary nonetheless.

welcome to the site....and as for a drop kit im going with skunk2 for mine because they are personally my fav...

Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 PM

if the other guy ran the light how is it your fault?

welcome to the forum btw

Old 12-10-2007, 03:06 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: LagwagonLad

"Guilty Until Proven Innocent,"
Where were you at the time? Because I am pretty sure that statement goes against just about everything the USA was established on....

anyway, welcome!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:50 AM

yeah dude...im also curious why they gave you a ticket.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:04 AM

im with circlethesky im pretty sure its innocent until proven guilty, and he ran the light so in no way is it your fault thats probably why your insurence didnt go up.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:39 AM

It's because it was late at night and the light sequence I recieved at the time is rare. It's called a "lagging green arrow." It means that the arrow occurs and the beginning and middle of the light sequence because there is no cross traffic to trip the sensors. So when I told the cop that the arrow occurred after a solid green he didn't believe me and issued me the ticket. So of course I took it to court, and got royally f***ed because I'm in Lubbock, TX. Hence "guilty until proven innocent." I could have chosen to have it appealed and re-trialed, but the whole process is such a pain in the *** I just gave up. It took me over 4 months to get the first trial, I had to get a lawyer, and there were insane amounts of fees, so I wasn't too keen on doing the whole thing over again.

The strangest part was the judge put me on deferred adjudication w/out my permission, but he did it so that IF the other party decided to sue me instead of accepting my insurance companies claims, they would have to re-prove that I was guilty because the whole issue would be off my Texas driving record, and the judge told my laywer that that would be highly unlikely. WTF? I really don't understand why any of this happened. If the cop had just pulled his head out of his a** in the first place, I wouldn't have gotten into that mess.

Yea, I heard the Skunk2 kits were a bit sportier... not sure if that'll be too fly w/ the streets of Lubbock. Their city engineers are terrible.