New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

newbies to cars-read

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Default newbies to cars-read

proper planning is the key to a nice car. I've been looking around the site and saw some people saying they want to turbo thier cars and yet they just got a header or exhaust or intake!?! if they are serious about turboing their car they shouldnt waste money on parts that wont work with other mods. ei. like header or exhaust if you turbo a car thats what you have to replace to bolt on a turbo kit and the exhaust wont line up and it will be to small dia. for the turbo (you dont want back pressure on turbos). and you'll have to lose the cat with a turbo for more power.

The best thing to do is to have an idea of what you want to do (race or show)even before buying the car.(ideally)
dont buy a car that will cost a lot of money to mod if you dont have alot of money. I have a friend who bought a mkiv supra ($27,000)
and now cant afford to mod it. and its funny to see what will beat up a stock tt.

if you are going for the " i want to go as fast as possible" route then remember that there is alot more to going fast then just going fast.
the car has to be set up for it.
tires- you dont want to blow a stock 13" tire at 100mph. get proper rated tires there cheap (kuhmo 512 z-rated $60 each for 15")
brakes- you dont want to try to stop 17" wheels going 100mph on stock dx brakes. upgrade to si or teg brakes or atleast x-drilled with good pads(proformance friction carbonmetalic at autozone $20 gaunteed for life)
susp- new shocks and lowering springs nothing looks funnier than a stock civic on 17" (4x4)

the point is talk to people and find out everthing you need to before you spend the money. if i could do it over. I would have done an h22 swap in my car. just for the fact that I've prob. got over $8,000 in my car to have it run safe and fast with turbo (d16z w/ 240 hp) and for about $5000 i could have done the h22 with 200 h.p. and had $3000 left to inprove on the 200hp.
I've been doing the import mods since my crx si in 1996.
if you have a limited budget, knowledge is better than a carbon fiber spoiler on a saturn
have fun and talk to you later.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1570/D8DE53EB5BFF407885480A3597B662F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Default RE: newbies to cars-read

You have so much knoledge, hmm I think I misspleeled that lolo t=aint that funy I am a moron!!!!!!!!

Old 01-17-2005, 12:33 PM

I found out the other day I am a complete moron but I am ok with it. Yea my civic I bough cold air the header and cat-back, and throttle body,then decided I want a turbonetic bolt on, so I wasted my money, though I buy all my stuff off ebay, I have had really good luck so far, and its actually pretty fast, I beat most civics in town miata's, eclispe, talon, lancer, and a 89' 300zx I could not believe that one, it was a decent car too. I am glad I went Ex and not anything less, cause my friend bought a 2002 DX and thought he was fast then I put about car lanes ahead and pulling more, but I felt bad for him cause he spent over 10 G's.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:57 PM

thats the point. why spend 10gs if you get spanked by someone who knows more and got the right parts for the job. and if my spelling isnt the best ....o well... Ive done good so far. and i have done the same stuff with my car-cold air intake, header,exhaust, Have you ever heard the story of the young bull and the old bull? the young bull and the old bull were on a hill over looking the pasture of cows, the young bull said "lets run down there and f**k one of them!" the old bull looked at him and shook his head and said "no. lets WALK down and f**k them ALL.
knowing what you want and how to get it are two different things.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:25 PM

hahaha i hope you haven't been telling that story to your little one...

Old 01-19-2005, 08:10 PM

HAHA! Good one.