New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

No Key

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 01:06 AM
Default No Key

Hey everyone..i'm new to the forum but I have a few questions about a car i just bought, and a friend referred me to this site. I just bought a 1990 Civic DX at a lien sales auction. Got it pretty cheap (or at least i think) at $425. It however only came with a key for the door, and not the ignition. My first attempt was to get a locksmith out to make me a key for the ignition, but he's telling me it isn't possible to key it, since the door locks are different, and apparently they use the door lock to make the key. The guy tells me that it would be 280 dollars total, parts + labor to switch out the ignition completely. Another guy says he can make the key for it, but wants to charge me 200. My whole problem is that they're charging me about half the price of the car. I was thinking about giving it a shot myself (replacing the ignition) but the manual makes it sound like a pretty tedious job, with special tools needed, not too mention u need the key to turn the ignition to different positions.

I just wanted to get your guy's opinion, is it true that a key cant be made for this car if the door key doesn't match the engine?

How difficult would it be to replace the ignition myself?

What other options do I have?

At this point, i'm in need of a cheap option, even considering trying the whole jam a flathead down the key cylinder. Does that actually work? Saw it on a youtube video lol or even straight up trying to hot wire it, at least to see if it will even start.

I really liked the car and thought i was getting a deal, but i may be in over my head and I need to make the decision of either continuing to throw money at it, or if its better to try and sell off the parts and junk it? Thank you all very much. I'd appreciate any advice.