New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

No longer a stranger to the civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:46 PM
HCF Member
Default No longer a stranger to the civic

Hey all,

I just purchased my first civic ever, a 2000 Civic EX coupe. I'm extremely pleased as I researched this quite a bit. Smooth 5 speed gearbox, great gas mileage, appearance, etc. Coming from a Honda family, my very first car was a Honda accord (with the old school flip up lights) and my second vehicle was a 1990 Acura Integra GS with 160k currently on the odometer. I basically bought the Civic to replace that, not because anything's wrong with it, but because I'd rather put the money into a newer car than to keep an old one running. The Integra will forever be a legend to me, but they are so hard to come by in my area. So the next logical choice seemed to be this civic. Where the Integra excells in power and handling, the Civic makes up for it by being an excellent all around package. Gotta sacrifice something at one point or another, right?

Time for the newb question: My engine is supposedly a Vtec, as that's how the dealer had it listed. However, there is no Vtec stamped on the engine whatsoever, and I've never seen a Vtec that isn't written across the engine. Was VTEC optional on the 2000 EX model, and maybe I just have a standard engine?

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Default RE: No longer a stranger to the civic

should be vtech as far as i know but it is a single overhead cam i think only the dual overhead cam stamps it on the engine

Old 09-20-2005, 08:03 PM

ORIGINAL: absoulute

vtech
that's vtec

Old 09-20-2005, 08:11 PM

yea whatever bash me again sorry had a big test today brain is fried. oh well atleast i have 2 rides with vtec so oh well

Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

Uh, ya lost me there. So that's a yes on the Vtech I assume?

Thanks for the replies!

Old 09-20-2005, 08:43 PM
HCF Member

hahahaha..its v-tec...welcome to the site

Old 09-20-2005, 11:23 PM

Yup it's V-TEC. If you still doubt, check for the engine code, it should be stamped/stickered on the side of the engine someplace. Your 2000 is an EK (6th gen civic) like mine, so you should have the same engine (D16Y8) which is SOHC V-TEC

Old 09-21-2005, 06:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome to the forum! Yes, your 2000 EX Definitely has vtec. I bet all it says on top of the engine is HONDA, correct? Thats the same motor that I have, D16y8 SOHC VTEC. Good, reliable little motor, i'm sure you'll have fun with it. As for the integra, what do you plan on doing with that, and what motor does it have?

First cheap mod to your civic should be a hondacivicforum.com decal, pm me for details, or check the off topic lounge sticky!

Old 09-21-2005, 06:38 AM
HCF Member

Cool, great forum here. Forty04, the Integra has the regular 1.8 DOHC 140hp non-vtec motor. It's hard to believe the thing is 15 years old, as it really flies and still gets 34 mpg. Never modded it or anything. Unsure what I'm going to do with it, maybe sell it and put the money towards payments and incremental upgrades on this civic (CAI first?) so we'll see. The sticker is cool, I'll look into it.

Old 09-21-2005, 07:45 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Toppers

Cool, great forum here. Forty04, the Integra has the regular 1.8 DOHC 140hp non-vtec motor. It's hard to believe the thing is 15 years old, as it really flies and still gets 34 mpg. Never modded it or anything. Unsure what I'm going to do with it, maybe sell it and put the money towards payments and incremental upgrades on this civic (CAI first?) so we'll see. The sticker is cool, I'll look into it.
Cool man. Yeah, i'd recommend the CAI first. You'll definitely feel a difference in between shifts, good luck!

Quick Reply: No longer a stranger to the civic