New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Question about 2002 Honda Civic I own. Only for people who know about this car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 11:56 AM
Default Question about 2002 Honda Civic I own. Only for people who know about this car.

I have a Honda Civic 2002 model, nothing special, just stock. I am making a movie for my College Video II and am trying to film my tire up close spinning quickly. I want to prop up either the front of the car or the back of it (depending on wether it's front or back wheel drive) and pressing on the pedal so the tires spin while the car is propped up. My question is: Is this particular model front wheel drive, or is it back? Also, can the normal crank that comes with it support the whole back or front of the car, if placed in the middle of the axle? Thank you.

Old 09-28-2006, 11:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Question about 2002 Honda Civic I own. Only for people who know about this car.

its fwd, i would get jackstands instead of trying to use to stock jack to hold up the car... i just don't trust those things.

Old 09-28-2006, 12:05 PM
Default RE: Question about 2002 Honda Civic I own. Only for people who know about this car.

I'm such a newb, fwd is front wheel right? Not fourwheel. And I do have two normal jacks. would that be enough?

Old 09-28-2006, 12:47 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

two normal jacks would not be enough. you never know when they can collapse. jack stands work the best.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM
HCF Member

or u can pour some windex on the tire and have a couple of buddies to sit on the trunk, then floor it and get a nice burnout shot...

but to answer Q, I agree w/ the jack stand comment...Safer that way

Old 09-28-2006, 02:37 PM
mxs
HCF Member

why don't you build a rig to hold the camera out of the car while you're driving? then you could get the road in the frame too. Or find a local performance shop and see if they will let you film a car on the dyno. Either of those options are safer than what you're proposing.

Old 09-28-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator

i second that idea ^^ i have seen a million photos with a rig holding the camera out of the car...most of them come out pretty damn nice too

Old 09-28-2006, 03:02 PM

local garage with side lifts would likely lift front end of car only and let you do it at low rpm for a pizza & 6 pack of beer

Old 09-28-2006, 03:41 PM

lol, the proposals are all good and I was planning on rigging thecar but the project is due monday and I need the shot today so I can edit tomorrow. Oh well, I'll risk the two jack idea. What's the worst that could happen?

Old 09-28-2006, 03:53 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Uhh.... Motion of the engine starting causes the car to lurch and fall off of the weak scissor jacks, driver loses control, car hits cameraman and wall. Or worse?

Quick Reply: Question about 2002 Honda Civic I own. Only for people who know about this car.