New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

QUESTION ABOUT IACV AND MINI-ME!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Default QUESTION ABOUT IACV AND MINI-ME!!!

Here's my question,

I'm all prepped for a Mini-Me on my 98 Honda Civic. I currently have a stock D16Y7 (Obviously). Now, here's where it gets complicated... My understanding is that there are 2 types of IACVs on Civics based on the transmission type and engine type (Manual D16Y8 has 2 wire IACV, all others have 3 wire IACV). Now in my Mini-Me project I am NOT adding a D16Y8 manifold. I am keeping the D16Y7 manifold. As such, I am also keeping the 3 wire IACV. Now I have a P2P ECU from a 97 Civic w/manual transmission. Since my wiring harness is prewired for the 3 wire IACV, and I still have the 3 wire IACV I figure I could just plug my ECU in and the IACV will act just as it has before. According to my Chiltons repair manual, IACV control wires are on different pins depending on whether or not its 2 or 3 wire.

Anyway, I swapped out my ECU without performing the rest of the Mini-Me. So I had a D16Y7 engine running on a D16Y8 ECU. When I fired it up, the "CHECK ENGINE" light immediately lit up (I'm sure it's for the lack of VTEC hardware and knock sensor). My engine idles smoothly, but high. After reading around the internet, it seems that a bad IACV will cause idle surges and stalling. My D16Y7 running on a D16Y8 ECU seems to run alright, but it idles at 1500 RPM. Could it be because it hasn't "learned" the idle strategy? Could it be because the VTEC cam doesn't exist, but the ECU is acting like it IS there? If the "CHECK ENGINE" light comes on does the ECU automatically revert to "limp mode" regardless of the faulty sensor? If so, during "limp mode" does the car idle higher than normal?

I can't find any detailed technical documentation regarding the IACV or the ECU itself.

If anyone knows anything, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!!