New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Questions about 1st maintanence

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:53 AM
Default Questions about 1st maintanence

My car is Civci coupe EX 2006. my guage shows it has run 8000Km and 20% engine oil. Should I change Engine oil right now, or follow the dealer saying that the car doesnt need to go 1st maintanence until it has 8000km or 15% enging oil.

but i feel the car has been little uncomfortable when i was driving. Should I change engin oil right now or wait....Thanks a lot!

cakecow

Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Questions about 1st maintanence

welcome to hcf,

u show 8000Km and 20% engine oil, and the dealer recommended changing the oil at 8000Km
or 15% engine oil...

i think u should get it changed.

generally, i like to say better safe than sorry.
its cheaper to replace the oil than to replace the engine

[sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 10-21-2006, 10:08 PM
HCF Member

Didn't your car come with owners manual?[:@]

Old 10-21-2006, 10:28 PM
HCF Member

You can never change the oil too much

Old 10-21-2006, 10:36 PM
HCF Member

READ THE F@#$%^ MANUAL

From Honda website:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

How often should I change my oil after the first service?

Refer to your owner's manual for the recommended service intervals. Separate maintenance schedules are listed for "normal service" and "severe service." Read the description of severe service carefully. Most vehicles will fall under the normal service category. Note that the service intervals are listed by time in addition to distance. Your oil should be changed at whichever interval, time or distance, occurs first.

There is absolutely no benefit in changing your oil more frequently than recommended in your owner's manual. This will only increase your cost of ownership, and create an unnecessary burden upon the environment by increasing the amount of disposed oil.

Do not exceed the recommended maintenance interval. Oil eventually deteriorates and loses its ability to protect your engine, due to heat, friction, and exposure to exhaust components. Engine oil contains special additives to enhance the oil's performance, and these additives are also broken down or consumed with distance and time. Engine damage can occur if the proper maintenance schedule is not followed.
http://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/Mainten...s.asp#oilfirst

Old 10-22-2006, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

Well as long as one condition was met already, it is safe to change the oil already.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:29 AM
HCF Member

it's a valid question all new car owners face.

the answer is if your car's maintenance minder tells you to change your oil. change it.

honda put the computer in the car for that reason. to remind you to do maintenance.

when i had my 06 honda civic ex, I was told that my car didn't need it's first oil change until 10,000 miles.

but my maintenance minder told me I needed one at 5,000 miles. the computer uses a miles driven + engine rpm + driving style formula to best determine when you should change your oil. It's not fool-proof but it's there for your benefit.

so change the oil...