New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Seriously thinking... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Unhappy Seriously thinking... any ideas?

So I have a 2000 Honda Civic Ex. AUTOMATIC... I'm reading a lot of threads where people say they are horrible and weak powered. If I was to keep this car I would want to get a manual transmission, then work up to a turbo. Is it worth the trouble or should I just look for another vehicle?
This saddens me greatly do to the fact that I loved my car.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

the auto to manual swap is a bastard (lots of modification) with that said there are people that have done it. It is a matter of how much you love your car......

Old 10-16-2008, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

yes automatic are slow, if you want a manual civic then i recommend assuming you have not put in any mods into your civic, would be to just get a manual civic. it's PITA to do the swap. unless you really want the auto, switch a small percentage of people still mod

Old 10-17-2008, 06:37 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well the swap isnt to bad BUT being that you buy the swap parts and are unsure of its condition that is a risk! no one likes to replace a tranny and find out it grinds in one gear or the bearings are whining after youve done all that work!
id agree just try and sell the automatic and find a manual. ruffly next month i will start stripping my 99ex auto and puting it back stock to sell it, and ill put all my goodies on my 96dx manual.
then ill use the 99ex cash and start looking for a 96-00 hatch manual civic.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM

I really do love my car... The fact that it's a coupe and its black already make it good for me. I honestly think I'll try to do the manual swap. Any suggestions are where to look?

Old 10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

the best one ive seen.....
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459

good luck to the swap.... but IMO it can sometimes be cheaper to find a wrecked/totaled 5speed civic
i paid 700bucks for my 96 DX 5speed wrecked off ebay.
try ebay or your local craigslist.com
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Pa...Q_sopZ7QQ_scZ1
i look at ebay salvage parts list quite often... ya never know when i steal will pop up for sale! thats originaly why i bought my 96dx... so id have just about every part id need to do the swap all from one vehicle. but turns out the car was repairable and in decent shape so i just fixed it and this winter im stripen my automatic civic and making the 5speed my nice car. only a few things i will miss out on it the cruise control and sun roof mostly! and power windows, windows is a easy enough fix to power windows, but the cruise control and sunroof i cannt really just add simply

Old 10-17-2008, 04:36 PM
HCF Member

Find a new car, specially if you want power. Will be cheaper

Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 AM

I'll try and save up the money and look into what all it will take before I give up. It's just so hard to find ANY Civic around here let alone a manual version of mine.

Old 10-18-2008, 03:49 PM
HCF Member

Hey addiction what are you all gonna sell off your 99?

Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

addiction you letting go of the black civic? that sucks cuz thats on my favorite civics on here. i like everything about that car. good luck on the sale and getting that hatch you want. are you considering a black 99-00 hatch? have fun with stripping those parts and putting them on your 96

Quick Reply: Seriously thinking... any ideas?