New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Shifitng an automatic. . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Default Shifitng an automatic. . .

I'm wondering how (if at all) bad it is for your auto tranny to shift it manualy? I do it on occasion when I'm dreaming about the 5 speed I didn't buy and I dont do it much because I'm worried about the trany, I know there is a reason its called an automatic trans and thats why I'm assuming it will do harm, but we all know what happens when you assume. (and I'm not sure that assume has two s' in it, so I'm sorry, only if its wrong, if not please disreguard these parentheses all together. thank you.)

shep.

Old 08-13-2006, 12:30 PM
Default RE: Shifitng an automatic. . .

i do it on occasion too, i dont believe it will hurt it, since its there for a reason as long as u dont let it get to far into the redline but there is a rev limiter for it also. my dad ( a ASE Certified Master Mechanic) told me to do it in my old truck when the kickdown cable that makes it downshift when u step on the gas wasnt working right and i had to do it when i needed to gain some speed

Old 08-13-2006, 04:11 PM
Default RE: Shifitng an automatic. . .

cool well I didn't know if it would hurt it and being in a lower gear has different uses but I wasn't sure if shifting on the fly would hurt it like that? I was just unsure but if your dads a mechanic told you to then I'm sure that in limited use its okay.