New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

SRS dash light won't turn off!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Default SRS dash light won't turn off!

I recently replaced my dash in my 99 civic ex and found someone who posted how to take the dash all apart and unplug the airbags without making them go off. Unfortunatly, it didn't tell me how to plug them back in. The forum said to unhook the battery and wait 3mins to unplug them. So using my "common sence," I figured I shouldn't plug them back in when the battery was hooked up. So i plugged them in before I hooked the battery back up. When I turned my key on for the first time after I finished installing the dash, I noticed that the SRS light was on. I am just worried that they won't deploy if I get in an accident. Can anyone help me please!?

Old 12-14-2006, 12:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: SRS dash light won't turn off!

well, take your car to a honda delarship and tell them it wont go off...that light means (usually) that the airbags WILL NOT go off in a wreck. however, that will prolly cost you a bit of money if its not under warrenty...

You most likley just crossed two wires, or forgot to plug one in or somthing...so you could just go back and check your work...but thats all the info i can provide because i dont know much about the airbag system....except that mine DID NOT go off once in a small fender-bender, so they probablly wont ever go off....thats why i wear my seat belt. lol

Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 PM

reasons to never play with air bag switches, air bags or anything relating to them

also, they're only designed to go off during a major accident, not something minor

Old 12-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Thanks for the info. When i took the dash apart it only required me to unplug the airbags and gages, buttons, ect... the airbags had a double latch on them and they were the only plugs that were bright yellow. Therefore I can't believe that i switched them up. My thinking is that the computer just didn't recognize them because i plugged them in when the battery was unhooked.

ORIGINAL: cderalow

reasons to never play with air bag switches, air bags or anything relating to them
The reason I decided to replace the dash was because the previous owner thought it would be cool to paint it with a white enamel spray paint. lets just say it wasn't the best paint job I've ever seen.

Old 12-18-2006, 08:32 PM

ditto. i think you might want them if you get in an accident or something like that
ORIGINAL: the_turtle

well, take your car to a honda delarship and tell them it wont go off...that light means (usually) that the airbags WILL NOT go off in a wreck. however, that will prolly cost you a bit of money if its not under warrenty...

You most likley just crossed two wires, or forgot to plug one in or somthing...so you could just go back and check your work...but thats all the info i can provide because i dont know much about the airbag system....except that mine DID NOT go off once in a small fender-bender, so they probablly wont ever go off....thats why i wear my seat belt. lol