New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Thinking of a new Civic

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Default Thinking of a new Civic

Happy New Year All.

Im interested in a new Civic and I just got back from the dealer. Was hoping you could let me know what you tink of the offered deal.

I'm very interested in a Civic Type S GT, and wanted a petrol. However, the dealer said the best deals they had were all diesel cars. Is there a huge difference?? and what are peaople's thoughts??

I'm offered a pre registered Civic on a 08 plate with delivery milage and no Sat Nav (wasnt really bothered by this as I have a TomTom anyway). The deal is for £13000. This sounds quite good for me as list price would be nearer £18k.

The figures were Deposit of £4k. £1400 for my 5yo Fiat Stilo. £176 x 36 months and a final payment of £5200, or pay £200 a month for 36 months and a £3400 final payment.

I have also got an offer from my parents of a £6000 loan, which means I will be able to buy it cash - would this be a much better arrangement?

I test drove both a diesel Type S GT and a 5dr with the 1.8 vTech engine, and preferred the petrol, but is £13k too good an offer to give up?

Thanks for replying and for any thoughts you might have

Old 01-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Banned

get the faster one

Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

welcome to the forum, where are you from? i would go with what you like, the petrol version. you dont want to buy a car and end up not liking it. i'm interested in seeing what the international civics looks like. post up some pics when you go take a look at it again

Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM

Speaking purely from a financial perspective, unless your parents are going to charge you interest (family usually doesn't,) then YES CASH UP-FRONT IS MUCH BETTER! Just be a good son and pay them back promptly. If you do the math with financing you will end up paying a good deal more.

Caveat: In some areas the local law allows you to write-off leases as business expenses depending on your job. If you're a real estate agent, traveling mechanic, etc, and your job requires constant driving... a lease is better if you are able to get tax deductions for it. (Generally they don't permit the same thing for financing/purchases as that will become a personal asset, not a business asset.)

Petrol vs diesel, well, diesel is the responsible choice for the environment and I know some auto-makers (eg., BMW) have very good diesel engines with almost none of the traditional limitations of lower power, bad smell, etc... Whether or not Honda has done this I am not certain.