New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

what oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:22 AM
Default what oil?

hey i have just puchased a 94 civic and its needs oil bad, i was just wondering what type of oil i should use.

thanks

Old 09-20-2006, 10:06 AM
Default RE: what oil?

Hey there, I have a 94 civic also. When I get a change I use full synthetic oil because the engine is so old. As for brand, im sure everyone has their own opinion.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:11 AM
HCF Member

I think the honda manual says 5w20.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

I think the honda manual says 5w20.

Your driving an 05 civic...

Old 09-22-2006, 11:03 PM

Hi i work at a fast lube shop, so with my expierence with hondas and me myself owning a 91 civic, what you want to use for oil is a synthetic blend, full synthetics are excellent oils, but most of the civics older then 2000 they willnot run properly with synthetic oil, what happens is they just burn it out the exhaust. i have a cousin who has a 2000 civic sir and he put full synthetic in it and it burned though it in a week and then he put a synthetic blend in it and it stopped burning oil. With a synthetic blend you get the performence of a sythetic ,the real difference is synthetic blends only last what a normal oil for last k wise. now i would use 5/30 oil because 5/20 is used for the newer civics. brand wise if your using synthetic blends quaker state and pennzoil have excellent synthetic blends and thats what i would recommend for oil. you can use full sythetics and see how they run with your motor. another problem that can occur with synthetics though is if your vehicle has never used one for 12 years or however old it is do not start using full synthetics, because the piston rings can get ruined because they get moisterized too much and they get destroyed. I would go with a high mileage oil because they contain special addititves for older motors. good luck

Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Quincy_J_258

Hi i work at a fast lube shop, so with my expierence with hondas and me myself owning a 91 civic, what you want to use for oil is a synthetic blend, full synthetics are excellent oils, but most of the civics older then 2000 they willnot run properly with synthetic oil, what happens is they just burn it out the exhaust. i have a cousin who has a 2000 civic sir and he put full synthetic in it and it burned though it in a week and then he put a synthetic blend in it and it stopped burning oil. With a synthetic blend you get the performence of a sythetic ,the real difference is synthetic blends only last what a normal oil for last k wise. now i would use 5/30 oil because 5/20 is used for the newer civics. brand wise if your using synthetic blends quaker state and pennzoil have excellent synthetic blends and thats what i would recommend for oil. you can use full sythetics and see how they run with your motor. another problem that can occur with synthetics though is if your vehicle has never used one for 12 years or however old it is do not start using full synthetics, because the piston rings can get ruined because they get moisterized too much and they get destroyed. I would go with a high mileage oil because they contain special addititves for older motors. good luck
Real good advise, you learned a lot at your job.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:35 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Quincy_J_258
another problem that can occur with synthetics though is if your vehicle has never used one for 12 years or however old it is do not start using full synthetics, because the piston rings can get ruined because they get moisterized too much and they get destroyed.
Any research results supporting this? What is the typical view of a ring destroyed because it got moisterized?
Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 12:27 PM

depends on your driving, long distances get thicker oil. i drive a lot and i use 10w40 so that i can keep the oil press up. you should b getting around 10 pounds of pressure for every thousand rpms

Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM

My bad quincey. I still don't like you though.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

but most of the civics OLDER then 2000 they willnot run properly with synthetic oil....
That means BEFORE 2000... I run full synthetic on my 04...

Quick Reply: what oil?