Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

what should i get turbo or super charger

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Default what should i get turbo or super charger

i got a civic si 2000 and i was wondering which one is better turbo or a supercharger and whats the pros and cons 4 both of them i just want to know which 1 to get and what engine mods i need

Old 05-17-2005, 07:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: what should i get turbo or super charger

use the search function, it's been discussed many times and it all comes down to a matter of opinion and what you want out of it.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:57 PM

i was thinking bout power reliabilty and good maintence

Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
HCF Member

Ok that is still a little vague. Power at what RPM range? Reliability of what the supercharger/turbo or engine? Ok since you don’t want to do the search and I am feeling good today I will throw in my 2 cents.

Supercharger is the easiest of the two to install. It will give good low end torque and power. Some might say a little to much for our FWD open differential cars. However if you know how to handle the added power it shouldn’t be a problem. Another good thing is it doesn’t use your engines oil for lubrication. The supercharger does have it’s drawbacks. Power drops out at the mid/high RPMs. Some designs make it impossible to add a intercooler. It is only rated a certain RMP which limits the amount of boost you could add.

The turbo will allow for more boost. Good power increase at mid/high RMPs. And is more efficient since you are harnessing the otherwise wasted power of the gases in the exhaust. However, it is a more complicated set up. Harder to install. Uses the engine oil for lubrication which will degrade it that much faster. And if you live in a state with strict emissions, there are less turbo kits out there that are O.E. CARB. Most systems require the removal of your AC components to make room for the turbo stuff.

Both set ups would require fuel mods(some kits might include them) as well as a piggy back computer(of some sort) to properly deliver the fuel with these mods.

As far as reliability goes, expect your engine life to be decreased due to the higher “effective†compression adding more stress to your internals. For maintenance, I would say “real†synthetic oil is a must with both systems and more frequent intervals for the turbo set up. Also expect to change tires more frequent(I attribute this mainly to the fun factor,… lol) and possibly more bail money for the speeding tickets you will be getting.

I guess that is about all I can think of for now. But seriously use that little search button and read up some previous posts.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

good answer.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 PM

i have a SC so take this to what you think,

I have had friends with turbos and I have a SC.

my friends always seem to be doing more upkeeping with there turbo than i do with my SC(changing their oil about twice as much.) previous post is right.... synthetic all the way, huge difference in performance, either way you will need to get a FPR, fuel rail, and recomend inline filter.

as far as performance, i get my boys off the line but they catch back up at high RPM.

the best part of my SC is that it is much quieter than the turbo, i can sneak up on people at lights and spank them and they don't know why until the hear the BOV release.

hope this helps

Old 05-17-2005, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

i thought superchargers sort of whistle as opposed to the PHHHST of a bov on a turbo. Do superchargers have the ability to have bov's? I never knew this?

Old 05-17-2005, 09:27 PM

i have heard that, however mine is very quietat a stand still but as soon as you hit the throtle you hear it, mine has a BOV and works you hear the release

Old 05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: pcupo12

i thought superchargers sort of whistle as opposed to the PHHHST of a bov on a turbo. Do superchargers have the ability to have bov's? I never knew this?
Its not the "supercharger" or a "turbo" part that whistles... it's the centrofugal type that whistles. A supercharger can look exactly like a turbo (snail), but instead of the portion that is routed through the exhaust to spool it up it will have a pulley. A "roots" or "twin-screw" type s/c is the one that whines.

so basically, a turbo will always whistle, a supercharger can whistle or whine depending on what type it is.

Wanna hear some whine: Here is my ride about a year ago with just the s/c and intake... its a hell of alot beefier and louder now. (beware, its not a civic)

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Corolla-Burn-out

Old 05-18-2005, 09:30 AM

Great post guys! Lots of useful info here on Turbos and S/Cs.

Quick Reply: what should i get turbo or super charger