Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

Wow, nice

Old 11-15-2010, 11:37 AM
HCF Member

this story is definitely the most inspirational i've read in a while.. makes me think that maybe someday i can do something like that too!!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:37 AM
HCF Member

Man....Turn this story into a hollywood movie...with Matt Damon as the driver!

Old 12-05-2010, 09:55 PM

This is making my life very difficult right not haha. My friend and I have been talking about dropping out of college and making a rally team, or just buying a cheap car and making it a rally car and staying in college. I have been pushing for a $500 BMW 325i, and he won't believe me that it would work. Damn this guy has lived what I want to do.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

It is almost impossible for the average person to gain a decent income from Rally Racing. I highly recommend staying in school, and racing in your free time. That way you've always got something to fall back on.

Just an FYI, both the driver and co-driver in this story both have good jobs that allow them to do this kind of stuff.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Forty04
It is almost impossible for the average person to gain a decent income from Rally Racing. I highly recommend staying in school, and racing in your free time. That way you've always got something to fall back on.

Just an FYI, both the driver and co-driver in this story both have good jobs that allow them to do this kind of stuff.
Yeah that's what we figured would be the best choice of action. So that's what is going to happen, but it can't hurt to still want to do it.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:50 AM

Great article. Definitely movie material. Maybe somebody from hollywood is rreading this forum. Who knows. lol

Old 12-30-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ABEC11SpeedMachine
This is making my life very difficult right not haha. My friend and I have been talking about dropping out of college and making a rally team, or just buying a cheap car and making it a rally car and staying in college. I have been pushing for a $500 BMW 325i, and he won't believe me that it would work. Damn this guy has lived what I want to do.
You'd be pretty stupid to do something like that. Rally racing is a pretty difficult and very expensive sport to get into. Even RallyX can be pretty expensive for an average person and RallyX is nothing compared to something like even Rally America cars. It's not really a career either, people in this type of racing have jobs outside of racing that can support it and/or do work along side teams/companies. If you don't have years of racing experience already, you're chances are slim to none unless you have millions of dollars, crazy support from sponsors and tons of free time on your hands(ie: pastrana and block are good examples of that lol).

Old 01-04-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by civicexracer
You'd be pretty stupid to do something like that. Rally racing is a pretty difficult and very expensive sport to get into. Even RallyX can be pretty expensive for an average person and RallyX is nothing compared to something like even Rally America cars. It's not really a career either, people in this type of racing have jobs outside of racing that can support it and/or do work along side teams/companies. If you don't have years of racing experience already, you're chances are slim to none unless you have millions of dollars, crazy support from sponsors and tons of free time on your hands(ie: pastrana and block are good examples of that lol).
Yeah definitely not serious about it, but I would love to do it.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Don't get discouraged from trying, we just don't recommend you go as far as skipping college to do it. Racing, in all forms, is a great way to spend time and have fun. AutoX/RallyX are really safe, sanctioned events at which you can hone your driving skills for any "next steps" you may have in the future.

It is costly but if you've got the means to do it, by all means get some dirt wheels/tires and hit up your local RallyX events! Just know that you'll always need something to fall back on in the event you're not one of the .000000001% of people who make it big in the sport

Quick Reply: How A $500 Craigslist Car Beat $400K Rally Racers