Non-Honda Discussion Discussion of all other makes and models takes place here!

my miata

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 PM
HCF Member
Default my miata

just got a 94 miata a few days ago, it was a spur of the moment purchase when i was skimming craigslist for kicks and saw one asking 1800. ended up texting the guy and he called back asking if i wanted to see it. since i had nothing to do at the moment i checked it out and ended up buying it for 1400, not cuz i was lowballing, but all i had in my saving was 1450, which isn't the best financial choice but oh wellz

anyways, they came with the new 1.8 liter engine with 131 hp this year and is pretty peppy, definitely quicker than my civic around a track or in a straight.

since i own an s2k also, it's natural for me to compare the two and the s2k is better in every single aspect. though i am comparing apples and oranges since the s2k is a 2001 and the miata is a 94, but why not compare them lol. the miata feels like it's crawling since the s2k has more than 100 hp on tap. steering definitely feels much better along with the shifter, where the miata is kinda numb feeling on both. interior and exterior, the s2k is ten times better in every aspect. handling is also much better on the s2k, with significantly less body roll but stiffer springs so less comfortable if that matters to you.

only thing the miata has on my s2k is lightweight. which other than being cheap, is the only reason i got it. this should really help teach me momentum driving instead of relying on power as i am with the s2k around the track.

the engine runs great, tranny also shifts with no hiccups or problems. exterior isn't that well maintained though. at least the top is in good condition

here are some pics right after i washed it up
Name:  af67e3cc.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  f6fc75fc.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  73.2 KB
Name:  31b7811a.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  70.6 KB

uh oh, this is the first time i've ever owned a car with rust. i've done a bit of research and removing this myself is on the priority list
Name:  a29bb5b5.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  68.0 KB

some plastX cleaner i bought at advanced auto did miracles for the rear windows
Name:  0aa57abd.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  90.4 KB

after replacing all fluids and probably getting new brakes up front, plans for the car will be to first make it track worthy. which means priority is to get a roll bar installed so i clear tech. a stock s2k clears fine since it has the two roll hoops behind the seats but the miata is bare. then i'll just need to move the rota grids off my civic to the miata and it should be good for highplainsraceway

then i'll grind off the rust, bondo that crap up, and rustoleum roll the car white myself. white will probably look much better with the green rota grids.

then it'll be coilovers, sways, etc etc, and if i still have the car years from now, which i probably will, boost is my final goal for the car

Old 11-14-2010, 03:37 PM
HCF Member

With some suspension upgrades, that could be a very nice AutoX car.

My friend used to autocross with a Miata and that thing handled like it was on rails.

Congrats on the purchase.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:15 AM
HCF Member

nice buy for $1400!! I've been looking for one of these to try and teach my g/f how to drift in, but never find any cheap enough. definitely has potential!