Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Real gains videos on CAI and Exhaust cat back!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Default Real gains videos on CAI and Exhaust cat back!

Before anything moderators if there is a topic with this videos, or something similar before, i am sorry, so just erase it!

So i seen and looked for a lot of topics about how much do you really gain with a cold air intake and a cat back installation, but i never really saw somebody showing a reliable info on that, so this week i found this 2 videos on youtube were they show on a dyno whats the real gain you get from installing those items, now i don't know if most people seen this videos before but i'll be posting here the 2 links and you guys come to a conclusion about if really is worth it spending money on this items!

Cold air intake video

Cat back video

Old 11-22-2012, 08:40 PM
HCF Member

this topic has been beat to death. :P

it's a pipe with a filter... some gains are to be had, but they are never as advertised. colder air is more dense, more air going into the motor is more power, that's the general consensus.

But it's so insignificant. my buddy was trying to tell me that his buddy's stock z6 del sol would beat my chipped y8 hatchback... his reasoning was that his buddy's car has a CAI that goes into the fender, whereas mine is just sitting in the engine bay behind the rad. his buddy's car just hops around too since he has no torque mounts lol.

do ram air intakes do anything special? nope. on fighter jets, yes, but not on our slow vehicles (including superbikes and supercars for lack of better terms).

to make more power, the air must be compressed. cold air isn't compressed enough, but it is more compressed than hot air... get what i mean? an empty bottle left in a hot area will swell because the air is expanding. an empty bottle left in a cold/freezing environment will collapse as the air is becoming more dense or compressed. at room temp, they are the same volume. more air particles per square foot = colder air = what the map sensor reads = PSI = more potential power.

do you think a 60mph wind will compress enough air to make more power? nope. that's why ram air doesn't work.

it CAN work with a resonator box to trap the air... and compress it slightly... but the box would have to be huge (probably the size of the motor).

so how do we make more power? turbo!!!

compressed air gets shot into the motor. to make power, an additional 5psi or more (way more :P) is added. 5psi isn't a lot, but it is way more than any CAI/SRI/Ram air intake can ever make.

Anyways I really like intake methodology.... hope I taught someone something lol. they are basics but good to know.