Interior DIYs Audio/Visual Equipment, interior trim upgrades, etc.

VTEC Light Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Administrator
Default VTEC Light Installation

I've searched quite a few forums and came up with the same thing over and over. And above all, they look hella ****ty in picture. I know that it was not necessary, but i decided to do it just for the fun of it. WARNING: please read through the directions before attempting.

1.) Take out your cluster and remove the plastic covering. After removing you can easily remove the following (sorry don't know the name for it). If you can't come this far without directions, please don't try this.

2.) Look @ where i'm pointing. That is the open space where i put my vtec light.

3.) Turn that over and you'll see a small plastic type covering. Somepeople cut that part out and put in a folder tab. This is where mine is different. Rather than having a crappy/hella ricey tab, i decided to use a cd case.

4.) But before the sign, we must first sand off the black plastic. I used a 400 grit sandpaper and it took me about 6 minutes because i was hella careful. When doing this, you don't want to completely sand it off, but just do it so that it becomes transparent.

5.) After this, print out the VTEC is 10 point Arial font using Word or any other document, then, cut out a cd case and tape it from the back.

6.) Now, we super glue this to the plastic tab.

7.) You'll now have something like this.

NOTICE: its already better than most of the other DIY's because not only is clean looking, but at night its just as bright as the factory bulb so it wont blind you.

8.) Now, put the cluster back in and route the wires to the ECU. Open the cover and locate the GREEN wire with YELLOW stripe. This is the VTEC wire. WARNING: There is also a YELLOW wire with GREEN stripe. This is the Fuel pump wire. When you have found this wire, use a wire tap and connect the wire from the ecu to the LED.

9.) Now look up and you'll notice this screw. It is what holds the glove box up. Use this as your ground wire. There are many other places you can use, but i decided to use this one.

10.) Hide all of the wires and put everything back together and take it out for a test drive. If you have done it correctly, it should light up when you hit 5500 rpm.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:04 PM
HCF Member
Unhappy

dude, got to put some real strength to twist the 1st screw off. and i'm not a sissy man, as governator likes to speech lol
other issue,
maybe each model/year has its own light configuration. look at mine down there, 97 ex-s at. and in its manual it's different too.
has 3 empty sockets with rails.
other thing i was wondering, if exists uv (or any color) of these little lights ... to use as back illumination.
i am thinking in putting two lights, one on each side, with GO! instead of vtec ...
my best.

almost all lights on

empty slots with rails

some directions to anyone who needs

found this at apexi website, about ecu wiring. !!!not sure if it's correct!!!
http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/20.pdf

Last edited by c0V3Ro; 08-26-2008 at 05:54 AM.