Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

03 Civic front brakes locking up...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Default 03 Civic front brakes locking up...

I have a 2003 EX and my brakes have been locking up on me. My brake pad gets hard to press down and then soon after I don't even have to press on the brakes to stop it does it automaticly. I have been having this problem for a few weeks. I have had the front brakes replaced, calipars rebuilt. And's it's still doing it, the guys at the shop are stumped as to what is wrong with it. So i was wondering what in the world is going on with it. It's only the front brakes. It completly locked up today and I had to get it towed away!! It was sad to see it on the tow truck! Any help or even suggestion would be wonderful!!!! Thanks!!!!!
Carrie
p.s. I know I spelled calapers wrong but you get the picture!!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 03 Civic front brakes locking up...

Sounds like you need to get your master cylinder checked out. Could be a problem in the vacuum system or maybe in the hydraulic system somewhere. I really dont know though.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:19 PM

Hi all..changed my left front caliper (the bridge too) just a few weeks agof after it began locking up..thought I had the issue fixed and today it locked up again..looking for a solution I haven't thought of yet..dirty fluid line, etc...

Originally Posted by Hondaenthusiast
Hi all..changed my left front caliper (the bridge too) just a few weeks agof after it began locking up..thought I had the issue fixed and today it locked up again..looking for a solution I haven't thought of yet..dirty fluid line, etc...
forgot to add this is an 03 civic ex..

Have an 03 civic ex..a few weeks ago the left fronto started locking up..so I changed the entire caliper. Rotor, and pads. Thought I had the issue fixed and it has been fine since..until today. It locked up while driving and then stopped again..what would cause this intermittent brake lock with brand new hardware? I'm looking for a brake line issue, perhaps dirty fluid ?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 08-15-2017 at 06:31 PM.