Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Bleeding brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Default Bleeding brakes...

I chnaged my rear brake pads and for some reason my rear brakes does work now ...I am about to bleed my system and i notice that under the hood is two places for brake fluid .One is on the master cylinder and the other one is smaller and about 3 inches from the master cylinder .Wich one do I use to bleed my system ?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Bleeding brakes...

the big 1 is the master cyl.
small 1 is clutch

Old 11-19-2005, 09:06 PM
HCF Member

Why do u need to bleed your system after u change brake pads? DId u turn the rear piston in or did u push it in with a C-Clamp? And how do u know that your rear brakes don't work?

Old 11-19-2005, 09:33 PM

It was my first time doing this ..I was removing my old brake shoes and I dont know what happend but my cylinder just pop out
(only one side ) I reassembled all the hardware and bolt my wheels on and tried to push my brake peddal and it went to the floor .If I want my car to stop i have to pump my brake peddal about 4 time to get some pressure and the pressure wont last ! I always have to pump my brake peddal. I disembled everything again to see if anything leaks or so but ...looks fine. I assumed that my problem was that I unbleeded my system ! I really need my car fast so some help would be realy nice ! And I also never bleed a system before !

Old 11-19-2005, 10:23 PM
HCF Member

When u installed the new pads, they were prolly thicker than the old pads. This means that the pison needs to be pushed in so that the caliper can be bolted on. On the back caliper, the piston cannot be pushed in because of the emergency brake. Instead, you have to use a tool that allows you to turn the piston back into the caliper. There might be a problem other than the need for a bleeding. Your car should only need to be bled if the brake lines have been opened. Now to how to bleed brakes. This is a two man job, one has to pump the pedal while the other bleeds the brakes. You are gonna need a box end wrench, a rubber hose (i think 1/4 in), and a cup. Put the wrench onto the bleeder screw of the caliper and cover the bleeder screw with the hose. Have the other person pump the pedal, while he is pumping, open the bleeder screw. THe hose should be in the cup. Tell the person to keep pumping, close the bleeder screw after the fluid that is coming out is both clean and has not air bubbles in it. Make sure to keep refilling the resovior. If you let the reservoir empty, the M.C. will suck air into the system and you have to start all over again. After you have decided that you have gotten all the dirty fluid and the bubbles out, close the bleeder screw (the other person should still be pumping the pedal until the bleeder screw is closed). Repeat for the other wheels.

Old 11-19-2005, 11:20 PM
HCF Member

this micanic told me this the other day--you dont need to even have a person pump the brakes, just open up the bleeder screw and it will start poring out, keep letting it come out till the bubbles stop and its a steady stream..takes like 2 minits

Old 11-20-2005, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: mill$civic
this micanic told me this the other day--you dont need to even have a person pump the brakes, just open up the bleeder screw and it will start poring out, keep letting it come out till the bubbles stop and its a steady stream..takes like 2 minits
That doesn't sound right to me. Your brake lines aren't under pressure unless you push on the brake pedal, so how does your brake fluid just start pouring out until bubbles stop?

2002coupe, it sounds like you could have gotten air in your brake lines when your "cylinder just pop out". If that's the case, yeh, you do need to bleed the lines. It is a 2 person job as stated above. I have one thing to add though.......only open the bleeder screw when the brake pedal is pushed down, then close it before the pedal is allowed to go back up.

Old 11-20-2005, 08:12 AM

OK thanks !. Il try that and let you guys know if it worked

Old 11-20-2005, 08:24 AM

I have one more question .Do I have to start my engine while doing this process ?? My car is power brake I dont knoow if this make any differences ?

Old 11-20-2005, 01:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

YES i've been bleeding brakes like that for years --works 90% of the time --

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes...