Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake Pad Replacemnt: Try # 3

Old 07-01-2006, 08:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Brake Pad Replacemnt: Try # 3

Hey guys! I need a little help here.

I'm replacing my rear brake pads. I have got the caliper off, and the new brake pads lubed (hehe, lube) up and on thir seats. My problem is putting the caliper back on. I'm not able to use pliers to push that little round thingy back in so I can fit the caliper on. Thinking that I'm just not strong enough I called in help, but he wasn't able to push it in either.

Is there something else I need to do? There has to be a way to push it back in, otherwise I can't get the caliper back on... I'm sorry I don't have pictures (left my camera at home) but I hope you can picture what I mean.

For those of you who don't know, if you need this info: the car's a 94 hatch.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide... My car is just gonna sit there wheel-less and caliperless until I can (get help to) finger this out.

Old 07-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Default RE: Brake Pad Replacemnt: Try # 3

use a C clamp and an old pad an tighten the clamp until the piston goes in and you can get it over your rotor with the new pads in

Old 07-01-2006, 10:55 PM
mxs
HCF Member

I'm not able to use pliers to push that little round thingy back in so I can fit the caliper on.
what do you mean, you're not able to?? it's not working?

Do you have a Haynes manual or something? It explains it pretty well in there. I know the rears a different from the front because of the parking brake cable.

Old 07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs
what do you mean, you're not able to?? it's not working?
Yeah, it wasn't going in. But i got it now, apprarently you have to turn the piston... so, I turned it (using a little crow bar) and they went in... Yay!

They're all done. The second one went so much more quickly and my brakes don't squeak any more... woot! You shoulda heard the sound them made in reverse. It was uuuuugly. I was afraid I'd have to get my rotors turned...

Anyway, I'm all done. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 07-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

i actualy kind of like turning rotors and then the funest part is air grinding little swirls into the rotor, man that looked so sick even though the first stop you did with the car they would dissappear

Old 07-02-2006, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

Here is the deal with rear calipers, you never want to force them in with a c-clamp, crowbar, pliers, etc. The rear calipers ahve a emergency brake on them and the caliper has to be turned in, not pushed like in the front. LBH has already figured this out and she is lucky that she did not ruin the caliper by trying to force it in. I've watched people force it and and break the calipers (against my adivce). Sorry for the late entry on this thread, the internet/electricity in India is not that reliable (and it smells).

Old 07-02-2006, 10:53 AM

i guess i skipped the rear pad parts, oops

Old 07-02-2006, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Hehe, I had been wondering where you were Agent. I thought about addressing the thread specifically to you.

Anyway, I'm not strong enough to break anything by forcing it, so I think my car is safe.

Are the rear calipers of all cars like this (in that they need to be turned?) or just Hondas?

Old 07-02-2006, 09:56 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Little Black Hatch
Anyway, I'm not strong enough to break anything by forcing it, so I think my car is safe.

Are the rear calipers of all cars like this (in that they need to be turned?) or just Hondas?
You would be suprised how much force you can apply and how little force it takes to break things. As for rear calipers, most of the cars i've seen have the screw in type caliper. However, there are some cars (like 350Z) that actually have a drum assembly specifically for the e-brake along with the normal disc assembly. These calipers can be pushed in like the fronts. The way you would know is that the piston will not have the grooves for you to put the tool (or pliers) so you can turn it. Also, when you take off the rotor you will see a mini drum assembly.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Cat Fuсker

Mel, I see you figured it out:-D Since I'm not on here as often as I would like I'm too late with input...those rears are screwed in easily...just gotta watch the rubber boot...LOL

Anyhow enjoy the new pads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake Pad Replacemnt: Try # 3