Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

brakes brakes

Old 10-28-2004, 04:49 PM
Default brakes brakes

what's your take on cross drilled/slotted rotors...they sell on ebay
anyway specific brand to get

Old 10-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Default RE: brakes brakes

baer or brembo

Old 10-28-2004, 08:26 PM

I moved this to tires because it has more to do with that than appearance... not your fault, we need a brakes section.

but anyway...

cross drilling and slotting doesn't do much for performance, more of a looks thing. (this is what I've been told from an ASE Certified mechanic, so don't bother jumping down my throat)

I'm not sure who makes rotors other than www.fastbrakes.com.

brembo, baer, hawk, stillen?, um... i dunno haven't given it much thought.

I'm going for the 11" front and 10.9" rear, with twin piston calipers fastbrakes upgrade kit and Hawk pads. Right now I have some cheap valucraft front pads from autozone. cost me 10 bucks... that I didn't need to spend.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

and slotted/drilled rotors are better than normal vented rotors because they cool quicker. As for brands there are a ton out there. IMO they are kinda hard to screw and should all be the same, its the caliper thats going to make the difference, so take your pick. Willwood is one of the best out right now, but very pricey.

You will need special pads if you change to slotted/drilled rotors and check with the installer if you have anti-lock brakes because most cars you will need to disable the ABS system because it will warp the rotors. Just some things to think about

Old 10-29-2004, 03:30 PM

drilled/slotted rotor are not really recommended for track use. they seem to crack quite often. but for everyday driving they are good.

Old 10-29-2004, 11:32 PM
HCF Member

drilled rotors can crack easily. slotted rotors usually dont. and slotted rotors do not run cooler than stock rotors. they actually run hotter. the slots scrape the pad as they go by, exposing a fresh pad surface, which in turn causes more friction, resulting in more heat (but better braking) also, slots release the layer of gas that is built up between the pad surface and the rotor during really hard braking. stick with a big name brand. you dont want to buy cheap ones. try to get brembos, they will probably crack eventually, but for the money, they are your best bet.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:29 PM

I have a question and instead of making a new thread why not post it here:
Is it possible to change the rear drums to discs? How does a drum break work?

Old 11-17-2004, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

yeah, its possible. you just get the rear brake assembly from one with discs or an integra (same generation) and swap out the whole thing. the e-brake cables are kind of a pain, but its not too difficult. a drum brake has 2 pads that are shaped like an arc and are opposite each other, and a piston pushes each of them out and they rub against the drum, causing friction. thats kind of a generic description, but you could probably find a pic if you searched on ask.com or something.