Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Cam Bolts - Looking for Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Default Cam Bolts - Looking for Advice

Admittedly, I don't know much about suspension systems. So I'm looking for advice.

Long story short - 05 civic is in for an alignment. The shop called to mention that the bolt to adjust the camber is off and they will need to install a cam bolt for $100 to remedy the situation. They mentioned that without installing the cam bolt then they will only be able to align the toe.

I've always done my own maintenance, and work so it might be my paranoia, but their reasoning sounded sketchy. They also said that they'd only be installing a cam bolt on one side, which seemed weird to me. Can someone explain what the factory bolt is versus the cam bolt? Differences, and why they'd need to install one?

Last edited by ktnewcom; 05-21-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:58 AM

Honda doesn't provide adjustable arms for camber from the factory. That only thing alignment shops can do with these cars are toe. Perfectly normal to hear something like this.

Sounds like they want to buy something aftermarket for the car. Is your car stock height, or lowered? What is the camber read out on all 4 corners? I think stock is a range something around -1 degree (where -0.5 to -1.2 would be acceptable). Don't quote me on those numbers though. The shop will have it in their system on what is correct.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:17 AM

The car is stock height. Everything on it is stock afaik. I told them to forget the cam bolt and just do the toe.

I just went to pick it up and asked for the readout. The rep said that they must have deleted it, because he couldn't find it. He said that they don't keep the print out because I declined the extra work.

The work was done on hunter equipment, which seems high-end, like it would save the data for at least a day or two. I'm getting the feeling that this place is just super sketchy.

Thanks for the info, I wish I had a print-out to compare the specs!

Old 05-22-2016, 06:43 AM

Ugh, no print out means no money from me. At least just throw the car back up on the rack to get a "current" print out. Ridiculous that they "deleted" it. I wouldn't be happy with the shop if I were you.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 AM

I am pretty upset with the whole situation. I won't be using them again after this. Thanks for the advice, and help!

I'm tempted to go back this week and prod them for a print out, but I think I understand what's going on. Purely speculation here - the sales rep flat out said that they don't make any money on alignments so they make an effort to find something wrong and make the work worthwhile for them. So it seems that they tried to finagle some extra work, but after I declined I can only hope that they completed the alignment, and the only reason that they don't have a print out for me is because it would show that the alignment is fine/within spec.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:06 PM

Did you pay money for an alignment? If yes, you deserve a print out. Not your fault their pricing scheme sucks. Even if the car was fine before the alignment, they should be giving you a before and after IMO. I would call and speak with a manager or owner about it.

If they can't provide the print out, or proof they did the work, then call up the credit card and dispute especially if you don't ever plan on going back there.