Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Coilover Sleeve Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:51 PM
HCF Member
Default Coilover Sleeve Mod

Ok, so I have dropzone coilovers and dropzone gen. II struts. I was able to do the sleeve mod on the front two, but I have been unsucessful with the rear two. I used the same o-rings as the front on the rear and they turned out to be way too big, so I went and got one size smaller in thickness. Well even these where too big. So I'm stumped. I cant find any smaller o-rings and am not sure what to do. Should I take them into a shop and let them do it or what?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:09 AM

Just screw the o-rings and just wrap the whole area in electrical tape like you normally would, but keep wrapping it until it's thick enough to make the sleeve stay in place, but not too thick to where the sleeve won't go on. That's what I would do.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Just screw the o-rings and just wrap the whole area in electrical tape like you normally would, but keep wrapping it until it's thick enough to make the sleeve stay in place, but not too thick to where the sleeve won't go on. That's what I would do.
damn thats going to be a **** load of tape, but alright ill give it a try. Should I just do 3 areas of the strut and wrap it around, not like the hole thing. I would be kinda doing the o rign mod but making a custom thickness out of tap?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Yea, i'd wrap 3 areas like you said, and then after the 3 areas do one more coat of tape but this time going over the entire area, like you do over the o-rings.

Basically that was my idea, making the custom thickness out of tape.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

ok sounds good ill give it a try tomorrow

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM
HCF Member

Wont the Orings and tape degrade quickly with the presure of the suspention movement?

Old 03-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by intenseneal
Wont the Orings and tape degrade quickly with the presure of the suspention movement?
Well, you'd think so, but since the coilover designers are the ones who decided that o-rings should be used, i'd say they're probably fine. If they weren't okay to use, then name brand coilover companies wouldn't give you o-rings with the coilovers.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:10 PM
HCF Member

Oh ok I have not seen a name brand pictured with Orings, only cheap Ebay coilovers. I was just wondering wasnt talking smack or anything. Are the lesser name coilovers any good or are they crap. I had some WeaponRs and those were ok.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:00 PM
HCF Member

you can piece together a coilover setup. Yes the better ones dont require this mod but I dont have that kind of cash.

Trust, looks like its working pretty good, I just finished one of them. The only question I have is that if you put some muscle into it you can spill the pirch, but it doesnt rock back and forth. Lemmie know if this ok? Thanks!!!

edit: just finished the rear two, they look good and minimal movement

Last edited by croninc; 03-31-2009 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by croninc
you can piece together a coilover setup. Yes the better ones dont require this mod but I dont have that kind of cash.

Trust, looks like its working pretty good, I just finished one of them. The only question I have is that if you put some muscle into it you can spill the pirch, but it doesnt rock back and forth. Lemmie know if this ok? Thanks!!!
I'm not exactly sure 100%, I was just brainstorming based on theory. However, i'd imagine it would work. If you really don't want to risk it, you can pick up some thinner o-rings at the hardware store or something.

Quick Reply: Coilover Sleeve Mod