Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Grease piston on brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Default Grease piston on brake pad replacement

Ok, maybe I am an idiot or just unsecure as this is my first time doing a brake pad replacement. I pretty much followed the Helms manual on my 2000 Civic SI for 5410 caliper. It shows that I grease certain areas and one of them is the piston--see picture.

I used Brake and Caliper Grease on the Piston...just concerned if I should have done that. If not, can someone explain the best way to clean it off the piston? Brake Cleaner?

I can go down to the garage and take some pictures to upload, but figure it is not needed.

Also is it really needed to bleed the brakes? I didn't unhook or open the line...don't understand how air could get in?

Thanks

Old 12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Default RE: Grease piston on brake pad replacement

u dont need to grease the piston when just replacing the pads. ur supposed to put some anti-squeal brake lube on the backing plates and also around the sides of the pads. if u didnt open any of the lines and the fluid level in the reservoir is correct after u finished the job, then there is no need to bleed the lines. unless the pedal has always felt spongy before/after the brake job then u may want to bleed the air out of the lines.

Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 AM

Hey thanks bro
Isnt that the guy from the mooninites?

I went downstairs after posting and tried to clean off as much grease off the piston, put everything back together, but have yet to pull it out of my garage...cross your fingers for me!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just as long as the grease isnt on the brake pads or the rotors your fine....
you want alittle lube to avoid any sqwiling brakes....

and with bleeding the brakes..... i would go ahead and do it......

just keep filling up the brake fluid about every 3-5pumps.... and keep doing it till the fluid is CLEAR and no bubbles.
very easy to do and quick as well....