Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Grinding noise occurs only once in each journey - within 1st few meters of moving car

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 12:19 PM
vdb

Thank you. I will ask the mechanic to check the dust shield.

Meanwhile, I tested it a little differently. This was to eliminate the transmission as a problem. I took to the vehicle to a slight inclined (downhill) part of my apartment and I switched off the engine. I started the car, put it drive so that it starts moving slowly and then put it to neutral quickly. The vehicle moved forward because of the momentum and slight slope (the engine was on), and though it was in neutral the sound still came after moving a little. If I am right this should eliminate the transmission as a prob.

So it could be the abs, or brake rotors rubbing against something or a bearing, right?

Old 11-27-2008, 02:18 PM

yeah and i'd also look at the axles to make sure the CV joints are good. if theres a tear in one of the axle boots, that could cause a problem tho normally that noise is a poping kind of sound.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:14 PM
vdb

Originally Posted by civicexracer
yeah and i'd also look at the axles to make sure the CV joints are good. if theres a tear in one of the axle boots, that could cause a problem tho normally that noise is a poping kind of sound.
Heys guys,

Just to update you all, I tested another Honda Civic 1999 probably, in that too I could hear the same noise thought it might be a little less in the noise level, but could hear it clearly. The noise is like a ummmhh. I am kind of getting the feeling that it comes with all 1998 to 2000 Honda civics, let me know if u all experience the same, thanks.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Might be a vibrating exhaust heat shield -- very common noise problem.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by vdb
Hi -

I bought a used 1998 Honda Civic Ex 2 Dr Coupe recently. I have observed that in each journey of the car there is a grinding noise which comes within the 1st few meters of moving the car (front or back). And, the noise comes only once and after that everything fine, however long i drive (no noises after that). Could anyone pls help me on what it could be. I am taking it to a mechanic anyway. While talking most mechanics seem to point to the struts or brakes.
Dear VDB,

I was able to search your problem in your car, and it is 100% same as mine.

It clunks and grind after moving 3-5meters or so ONCE every journey.

My ride is a 2005 Toyota Fortuner d4d 3.0, and I hope you can share what happened and what was your fix to your car? Hope you don't mind if mine was a Toyota. Was only you that I found having same problem with mine.

Thanks and hoping hoping for your reply guys!

Old 11-10-2021, 11:55 PM
Default Same problem with my 2010 Nissan Sentra

Originally Posted by mikevin
Dear VDB,

I was able to search your problem in your car, and it is 100% same as mine.

It clunks and grind after moving 3-5meters or so ONCE every journey.

My ride is a 2005 Toyota Fortuner d4d 3.0, and I hope you can share what happened and what was your fix to your car? Hope you don't mind if mine was a Toyota. Was only you that I found having same problem with mine.

Thanks and hoping hoping for your reply guys!
Hi, have you figured out the issue? I believe this is not a common issue.

Thanks